LCD crack T530

Hey guys!
I bought refurbished T530 last December and I hardly use it, because my old x201 still works but with only a minor problem with the network card. However, two weeks ago, after I finished working that day, I closed the laptop and went to bed. When I reopened the laptop the next day - nobody had even touched it inbetween -  there were lines going through the screen and became worse several days later. ( now verifid as cracks in the screen)
Several days ago I sent it  to the Lenovo service center in US and the support people there told me, that this was no case for warranty, because I had caused the damage. However, as I am sure, that the failure is not my fault, I am really not willing to pay 650 USD+tax  for a replacement screen (I have a 1 year warranty).
What I wanted to ask now is: Has anybody else had similar problems? Does anybody has an explanation, how this damage can occur? And especially: How can I convince the people from the service center to repair it under warranty? I argued with them, but they were not open for my arguments and stated that the LCD crack is not covered.
Just to clarify: I am 100% positive that nobody touched the laptop before the problam occurred.
PS, I am so disappointed with lenovo thinkpad. I had T61, x201 and now T530. I just felt that the quality and services are going downhill.

>  Does anybody has an explanation, how this damage can occur?
It's possible for the glass substrate from which LCD panels are made can crack as the result of thermal stress, being held in place inside the bezel too tightly or similar. Especially if the glass is heat-treated as part of the manufacturing process than this sort of thing can happen spontaneously. (I don't know if that's the case with LCD substrate glass.)
> How can I convince the people from the service center to repair it under warranty?
You could call back and ask to escalate the matter. The challenge is to convince them that there was some sort of manufacturing defect rather than physical abuse. Your situation is further complicated because it's a refurbished system that may carry a more restrictive warranty.
> I am really not willing to pay 650 USD+tax  for a replacement screen 
Another option would be to find a replacement panel or even complete LCD/bezel assembly on eBay and replace it yourself using the detailed instructions in the Hardware Maintenance Manual. I see many panels for T530 listed for about $50. This may be a more expedient option.
Cheers... Dorian Hausman
X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

Similar Messages

• Spontaneous LCD Crack(s)(ing)

So was was doing a little search and found a post a while back about MB LCDs cracking for no reason. It just happened to me!!! And I'm mad because A) I set it on the table for about 3-4 hours while i did homework and nothing happened to it in that time.. Well it was touched It might have been opened closed to check something-but nothing unusual. B) Apple won't (?) cover it.
    The weirdest thing happened too: First there was a black and blue crack the size of the menu bar right under the sight - this appears to be the origin. The crack happened late Wed and Thurs. morning there was no change. However about 11 hours later (returning from school) the crack had decreased to about 1/2 the menu bar. It was pretty odd. I've never seen an LCD crack get smaller over time! Then later today (thurs) I opened it up and the crack got worse - down to the middle of the screen about. With the hour or so that that happened the crack has shrunk so that the worst of it is around the Mac button on Apple homepage.
    <Edited by Moderator>

So Since then I've had 2 visits to the Apple store an 1 call. So my original quote of $280 was the best I'm gonna do.
    I called Apple and the guy said I could take it in. The next time I took it into the store (this morning) I was quoted $600.02!!!!!! for and LCD panel!!! He wouldn't budge and I left. I did some arguing - but he said the same thing and still didn't so anything!
    I left and called another Apple sotre. The phone rep was helpfuk and got me an appoint for today. I went in and I was first quoted $755!!!! What it goes up each time????? So I was arguing a bit ad mentioned the one girl who held me on Saturday at that store. He was able to give me the $280 price.
    It's actually interesting : the $755 price is for replacing / repairing everything on the computer, not just the LCD. So it would fix any other problems. With any bit of luck my colored disc drive (the marker wiped clean of the DVD) will come back clean.
    At the point the guys tone changed. He seemed more helpful and relaxed. I got him to put a note about checking the internal drive and he made sure that my added RAM was in the system. That was good.
    At this point, I'm pretty mad at Apple. I'm glad it's getting fixed, but I'm going to have a hard time this next 7-10 days during which I have hours of work to do. Luckily, I have my main HD in an enclosure and a Mac I can use part of the time. I'l be writing a letter to Apple and probably calling them, too. I also may be visiting Cupertino tomorrow or Wednesday - though not for customer service. I'm hoping I get 3 or the survey emails from Apple about the Genius Bar. And my MacBook better comeback clean and with no new scratches.
    Also Safari on Win isn't the same. I ought to complain about being forced to use Windows!

• N82 lcd crack

well..on the 2nd day, the lcd crack suddenly..i took out from pocket and got shocked..sent to repair..still waiting for answer..wondering why can this happen on new phones?..i didnt drop nor shake it..i handle with care..damn..have you guys experience this before?..seems that nokia lcd are prone to crack compare to other phone...i been changing phone alot of times but i never get this LCD crack..!!!!!

I'm wondering if there isn't simply a bad batch of displays out there on the loose. I've never had an LCD crack on any Nokia phone I've owned (3330, 3510i, 2650, 6280, N95) or on any other brand of phone.
    Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

• Zen vision LCD crack after

I refer to RMA reference number SHQ-Y-37374,i went to creative HQ SG to repair a bass problem in my earphones today, i went back collecting the player on the same day with the problem solved. While on my way back, watching a movie on my zen vision i found a pixel
    size crack
    on the LCD which cant go away, the LCD was flawless prior the RMA. Being a regular customer of creative with myself owning 2 zen vision 30gb, megaworks550w, zen V, zen microphoto, and a XFI fatality,i have a very good experience with creative,however i am very upset how the backend staff handle my rma equipment and hope that something could be done about this.
    Regards
    Adrian Tan
    Email:[email protected]

adriantan: To get help with that you'll need to contact Customer Support and make arrangements for another RMA. Just tell them what happened and they should take care of it for you.
    Dale

• Ipod Video LCD Cracked... but everything else is normal

Hello every body.... im very sad.. because i just cracked my inside LCD from my Ipod Video 60G....all the cover its OK.. just the top of the inside screen...but it works anyway ... i can select my song, see my videos.. etc... but the top is cracked... where is the clock.. it looks horrible, like a lines of diferent colors... and i am a little confuse about if i can repair it or not... and how much its going to cost... i mean if its a 100 or 150 dls its ok... but anyway, i dont know if i can replace the LCD only
    What can i do??
    I really apreciatte any answer

Three choices.. one send it in to apple and have them fix it.. it would be expensive. but it would be done right. second option send it to a company that fixes ipods. A screen repair with labor is 50-100 bucks. third option buy the parts and fix it yourself. If you have never worked on an ipod i dont suggest this option. hope this helps..
    go to www.google.com and do a search on "ipod repair" you will find many companys that do ipod repair.

• Lcd crack causing motherboard issue?

In recent post I stated I cracked my lcd, then my connectors would not connect. Verified my lcd part number and had the ribbon cable replaced...
    New Lcd did not work. ..
    Now, I'm being told the motherboard may be the issue.
    Question 1) Return screen pay shipping and 10% restock and get another screen in case it was defective?
    Q 2) Buy something other than Pavillion which I'm told motherboard overheats?
    What would you do? I'm a Cyber Security/Forensics student and need this issue fixed asap, just hitting dead-ends and the bottom of my bank acct.

Is the DC socket separate from the motherboard?
    If it is, it may be defective.

• Help!!! Less than 90 days with my 30 gb and my LCD cracked by itself!!!!!!!

I was using my 30gb i pod with video yesterday and it was working fine. I have never dropped it and it has never been hit or abused. It doesn't even have a scratch(I take good care of it, I clean it, etc.) I have had it for less 3 months (aprox 81 days). So as I was saying. I was using it yesterday, on a docking radio that I have. Later that night, when I turned it on, it had a hairline crack that diagonally crosses the screen!!! It appeared by itself. My question is, This has to be covered by the Warranty, right?!?! It happened by itself, my i pod is defective... What should I do? Go to the store that I bought it from or (since I live in PR) go to an authorized retailer and service center....since I cant get repairs directly from apple by mail.....thanx peepz....help me out!!!!

When I bought my Third Ipod there were very small cracks that spread radially from the dial out in a star pattern. They dont interfere with the function but are a nuisance. I mailed the Ipod in for warranty and Apple so surprisingly mis-diagnosed the problem I was confused. This was the response:
    Thank you for choosing AppleCare Service.
    Our technicians have performed full diagnostic checks on your IPOD 5TH GENERATION (LATE 2006) and have been unable to reproduce the symptom(s) you reported when you requested the repair. As a result of our tests, we can confirm that your product meets Apple specifications for performance, usability, and functionality.
    As a part of our assessment and test procedures, your product has had the latest software and firmware updates installed. It is now being returned to you, and you should expect to receive it within two business days along with a letter that provides details about our assessment as well as useful troubleshooting tips.
    AppleCare services was useless, wish I could help you out but I wouldnt waste my time with warrenty.

• Rubber pad thing above mic has come off -replacement? will my lcd crack?

hiya,
    the little rubber pad on the lid of my 12' ibook, just above the microphone, broke off a few months ago. i thought my ibook would survive so it didnt bother me too much, when i close the lid it does rattle a bit though. my problem is that the one on the other side of the screen is starting to come off too, if it does come off altogether im afraid that when i close my laptop or when it is in my bag (in a case) it could damage the screen because its just banging off the bottom.
    does anyone know if i sent it in for repair apple would replace them? its still under warranty, but only for another month. could it actually damage the screen? my previous experience with apple warranty repair is that they wont fix any issues that aren't actually affecting the use of the ibook. (i sent in my ipod in for repair because the plastic ring around where the dock cable goes in broke, but i got it back with a note saying 'no problem found')
    i would reall appreciate any response, i am ainxious to do something about it before it comes off, and before my warranty runs out.
    thanks, Aoife

oh well thats a bit more promising!:-) thanks for that. id still like to know if anyone thinks apple would fix it, im thinking about selling it in a few months and it would obviously be better if the computer had them!

• MBP retina early 2013 cracked screen LCD

Hi, Im from argentina and I had an accident while using my MBP Retina early 2013 15 inch which ended in a LCD crack. I´ve called apple in aventura mall, miami (where I bought it) to ask them if the fact that my laptop in under warranty could help me on the screen replacement, but they told me that by no means apple would cover it. So I went ahead and asked them how much would a reparation cost me, as I could have a friend of mine taking my mbp to their store to have it fixed. BUT THEY REFUSED EVEN TO GIVE ME AN IDEA of an estimated price. This is really freaking me out, not only because of the distance but also because its a screen model (7171) which they have to replace, nothing more than that. Why cant they tell me a price in advance so that I can figure out what to do?. I saved a lot of money for this purchase, and Im a real apple customer as I have being using Macs, iPads and Iphones for many years, which makes me feel real bad about the customer service...
    Have someone been through this lately??
    Kind Regards,
    Gon.

HI.  I opened my late MBpro 15inch a week ago and heard a funny noise  .Like a pop.  Shortly after I noticed a crack in the LED screen.  I went to a Genius Bar and they told me that the screen damage was not covered by my warranty ..I then went home and noticed that the crack had spread right across the screen.  I also noticed that I would get a black screen on 2 occasions that was fixed by resetting the PRAM.  I decided that I'd have to fork out the $900 to have it fixed.  I went to the Apple store today and booked it in.  The tech was sympathetic and said he would talk to his manager.  When he returned he was apologetic and said that I would have to pay.  Later today my wife picked up the product and was told that we did not have to pay as they could see that the product was faulty but not due to negligence. Good outcome.

• S10-3 screen crack for no reason

Hi,
    i bought my netbook S10-3 about 5 months ago.
    Since then, I've been taking a very good care of my netbook.
    But today when i opened it, there was a crack acroos the screen.
    It was fine until yesterday on my desk, and I never dropped it nor stepped on it.
    I just put it in my backpack to go to school and took out from the case, and there was a crack.
    I am 100%  sure there was no mechanical impact or damage to my netbook or even to my backpack.
    so i called Lenovo, and they say "LCD crack" cannot be covered under warranty,
    and I need to pay "$280" to replace the screen.
    I don't know how this happened. Yeah. of course the screen cannot crack by itself, but still i don't understand.
    Is there any way that this problem can be solved under warranty? or at least in a less expensive way?
    I am a poor college student, and there is no way i can afford $280 right now.
    Thank you

@nsj318,
    Welcome to Lenovo Forums, am sorry to hear bout the issue. There was a discussion about this previously, you check this post from Mark_Lenovo and see if it helps.
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/S10-3t-S103t-Cracked-Screen/m-p/317405#M11401
    //JameZ
    Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
    X240 | 8GB RAM | 512GB Samsung SSD

• Has "cracked screen" issue been resolved in gen 2?

i have a 1st gen ipod nano 4gb. i got it last december 2005, and recently it started freezing now and then...that stopped on its own, but one day i looked and the screen was black/rainbowy, with an LCD crack on it. still plays, but operates more like an overpriced ipod shuffle with no viewable information. after doing some reading, i've discovered that the unprovoked LCD cracked screen is not uncommon, and that apple will not fix it, and the price of getting it fixed other places is almost as much as a new ipod.
    so my question is, if i'm gonna drop the dough on a replacement 2nd gen, what are the odds my screen will crack for an unknown reason again? has apple addressed this issue in the 2nd gen?

Hello and Welcome to Apple Discussions. 
    Given that Apple's instructions to it's service providers is to replace these screens (read this and the linked to articles) I'd guess the 2G Nanos would be more robust in this respect. I guess we'll have to wait and see if there are many reports of broken screens. I haven't seen any complaints on the various Apple site's I visit so far so it all looks good.
    regards
    mrtotes

• Compatible LCD replacement?

Hey everyone,
    I'm a little new to this as this is the first real incident I've had with my mac that I haven't been able to get assistance with directly from Apple. (If it was a PC I wouldn't waste my time but it still works perfectly) My LCD cracked when my friend's dog knocked it off of an end table. The original LCD in it is a Samsung LTN154X7. I checked some websites and have found a few videos showing how to replace it yourself because I've heard Apple charges quite a bit for an LCD replacement. If I wanted to pay that much I'd just go get a new Macbook. Local repair shops quoted it at about $600-$800 (which once again, being a college student, I don't have the cash to pay that much for something that doesn't look that difficult.) Anyway, my main question is this: a lot of sites advertise a much lower price for a "Compatible" screen but any reviews I've read state that most people do not want a compatible screen. Does anyone know if the "compatible" screens are that much different than the original Samsung? I'd like a screen that is pretty much the same quality as the one I had/have. Also, I've noticed there are a few different versions of the LTN154X7, such as the LTN154X7-L02 and L03. Does anyone know what the difference is between the original and the L02 or L03? Anything I've read says that its just differentiating between glossy and matte (my original is a matte, which I prefer to glossy screens). I just don't want to purchase the L03 because it says matte and then have it not be compatible because my terminal only says LTN154X7. These may be really silly questions, but I want to make an informed purchase so that I don't tear my Macbook apart and end up wasting my efforts to find out that the screen I purchased is of horrible quality or doesn't connect right. If anyone has any expertise on this subject, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, If anyone knows of any trusted sites that have good deals on replacement LCD screens, suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks!
    (and yes, I know I need to update my OS, that will be my next purchase.)

My LCD cracked when *my friend's dog* knocked it off of an end table.
    My only advice to you is to either get your friend to pay for the damages or make a claim with your homeowners carrier if the accident happened at your home. If your friends home, make a claim under your friends homeowners carrier.
    Message was edited by: CMCSK

• Broken LCD Help Please

Two days ago my G4 PowerBook was open and fell approximately one foot and it hit the floor on the rear hinge, very lightly as well, and my LCD cracked from the lower left corner to the top right corner.
    It was definitely my fault, however I am very suprised how easy the LCD cracked with such a gentle, short fall on a plush carpet.
    Would I be better off buying a replacement LCD and trying to fix it myself, or getting someone else to fix it? Whatever the case, can someone please let me know the cheapest/best route? I really appreciate the help.
    Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi, npmccann. It's often not the length of the fall, but the precise manner of the landing that determines how well or badly a Powerbook comes through the experience.
    If you pay someone else to replace your display, it will likely cost more than the fair market value of your Powerbook — that is to say, you could buy an equivalent used PB in working condition for the same amount or less than the repair would cost.
    If you're a highly skilled do-it-yourselfer and have appropriate tools, you can replace the LCD panel inside your Powerbook's display assembly, at some limited risk of damaging the new display or other components of the Powerbook. If you're a less skilled DIYer, you can replace the whole display assembly more easily, at greater expense. If you aren't reasonably dexterous and proficient with small hand tools, you'd be better off just replacing the Powerbook than tackling the display as a DIY project.

• Cracked MacBook Display

I have a 13" MacBook with the right side of the LCD cracked on the inside. I am out of warranty and have no AppleCare. How much does Apple charge to replace an LCD Display?

Not sure what Apple would charge but I would try here first:
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/

• X201s LCD issue not taken under warranty

I had posted earlier on this issue here
    I purchased my x201s last year and after maybe a week or two (or maybe since new) I noticed a white spot on the left side corner of the screen (see photo). Because I use my laptop for work everyday I could not send it back (I wish I had choosen the onsite warranty).
    Having some free time these days I sent it back to lenovo. There response was that it is going to cost me $700 and did not give any explanation as to why it was not cover under the warranty.
    The person reluctantly escalated my issue to another service without giving me any explanation at all and the answer came back $700 dollars to fix the screen.
    I am outraged at the way I have been treated on this issue. I have not been given any information, I have been without laptop for two weeks now and I don't seem to be able to talk to anyone else than my initial contact who is to say the least uncooperative.
    There is no reason to be treated like this for a $500 dollars piece of equipment. But when you paid $2000 dollars this is as if Lenovo was saying we don't provide customer service anymore go to our competitors
    My last ressource is this forum. If there is a way for me to get in contact with a manager who could look at my case I would greatly appreciate it.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Thanks lead_org but I remember seeing two of your posts last year saying the opposite
    lead_org wrote:
    10-19-2010 07:42 AM
    the light spot means there is a pressure spot behind the LCD. This should be replaceable under warranty.
    And particularily this one with option d exactly describing what happened to me:
    lead_org wrote:
    11-25-2010 06:16 AM
    1) can you post an image of the problem?
    2) Cracked LCD can be due to:
    a) dropping the laptop on a hard surface.
    b) the LCD have uneven pressure spot behind the LCD, which when loaded by an external force (i.e. putting a large load on the top case), causes a concentrated stress resulting in LCD cracking.
    c) closing the LCD too hard, i.e. slamming it shut
    d) a manufacturing defect or there is construction defect, if the latter usually light spots on the LCD would appear first.
    cases a,b and c are the most common causes of LCD cracking.
    Unless you have some sort of proof that the case d was the cause of the LCD cracking, then there is very little likelihood that Lenovo would repair the LCD damage under warranty.
    All of this to say that this is what I experienced. An lcd white spot appearing a few weeks after having received the laptop (may there since the beggining..) and I then later noticed tiny cracks.
    I feel this is my right as any consummer to express my concerns and receive the service associated with my product. My mistake is not to have returned the laptop right away

Maybe you are looking for