[Solved] bluetooth hardware switch - Thinkpad T400

Hello,
I've got a Thinkpad T400 with integrated bluetooth, but I don't really use bluetooth, so I want to disable it to save battery power.
I figured out, how to disable it via laptop-mode-tools on startup, but when I use the hardware switch for Wlan and bluetooth to turn my Wlan on and off again bluetooth starts up again.
I also figured out that I can disable bluetooth via "echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable".
I want to put that command in a script, that is only executed, when the bluetooth hardware is detected.
Now I'm wondering if any of you guys knows some script, like that.
I've already had a look at the udev files, but I couldn't figure out which one will do the job.
Maybe it's the wrong way and there is a lot easier solution.
Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated,
David
Last edited by senior_spielbergo (2011-04-02 10:20:47)

I do this for disabling Bluetooth on my X220 ThinkPad using Fn + F9.
I created the file /etc/acpi/actions/bluetooth.sh
#!/bin/bash
BT_RFKILL=$(rfkill list | grep tpacpi_bluetooth_sw | sed 's/\([0-9]\+\):.*/\1/')
BT_STATE=$(/usr/sbin/rfkill list $BT_RFKILL | grep "Soft blocked: yes")
if [ "x" == "x$BT_STATE" ]; then
/usr/sbin/rfkill block $BT_RFKILL
else
/usr/sbin/rfkill unblock $BT_RFKILL
fi
exit 0
And the file /etc/acpi/events/bluetoothconf
event=button/f24.*
action=/etc/acpi/actions/bluetooth.sh
Restart acpid.
# systemctl restart acpid.service
Now I press Fn + F9 to toggle bluetooth off and on.
Rfkill needs to be installed for this to work.
Last edited by David Batson (2013-03-05 13:43:37)

Similar Messages

• How to upgrade to windows 7 in Thinkpad T400?

I have brought Thinkpad T400 in 2008, I want to run windows 7. I just know I need to upgrade my BIOS to activate windows 7. I will buy a windows 7 from BestBuy, Is it ok?
     any one can tell me the steps? Thanks a lot.
    My Thinkpad T400 is 2764 CTO,
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2261MHz
    ATI Radeon HD3400
    BIOS:
    Version: 7UET43WW(1.13)
    Date: 08/19/2008
    SLIC:
    Vesion: 2.0
    PubKey: LENOVOTP-7U
    Marker: LENOVOTP-7U
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi,
    As usual, it is strongly recommended to backup all important data prior to upgrading any operating system. It is also strongly recommended to verify all currently used hardware and software with the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.
    Depending on if you are moving from Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista there are two different types of installations that can be performed when migrating to Microsoft Windows 7.
    First, it is important to note that there is not an in-place upgrade from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 7. Instead of an upgrade, there is a type of installation known as a “custom” installation. This option for installation is also available when moving from Windows Vista. A custom installation will attempt to back up your data files and bring them over to Windows 7 in what is known as a “windows.old” folder however this is considered to be a clean installation. Your applications that were installed prior to Windows 7 will require reinstallation. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 helpful.
    If moving from Windows Vista, there is an option for an upgrade installation. The upgrade installation must be initiated from within Windows Vista. You may find the following resource Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 helpful.
    Jessica
    Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

• Didn't install and work bluetooth at Lenovo ThinkPad X300

Hi!
    Plz help. Install Windows 8 at ThinkPad X300. Work is O.K. but...
    Didn't install driver and didn't work bluetooth at Lenovo ThinkPad X300.
    Vladislav

patterns wrote:
    Where is Lenovo? 
    There is lenovo presence on the forum, and lenovo guys occasionally do comment/provide suggestions, however the community is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel, this is just a peer-to-peer forum.
    As for your issue, in tech sphere it's common that Windows is prone to registry issues, not only lenovo drivers but also other software would have problems when registry gets corrupted, for instance see how the issue in the following topic was solved:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/On-screen-display-installation-issues/m-p/3...
    Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
    ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]
    IdeaPad: U350
    Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
    Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a Kudos!
    Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution! 
      Lenovo Deutsche Community     Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
    Visit my YouTube Channel

• ThinkPad T400 WiMAX mystery !?

As I can see in BIOS there is a WiMAX adapter listed (it is ThinkPad T400 (2768-AD3)) and on Lenovo support page / drivers section for the exact same model lists: Intel WiMAX 6250 AGN and Intel Wireless WiMAX 5150, but upon installation of those, it says: ...no WiMAX adapter was detected on your computer. It is possible to proceed with installation, but nothing happens. So I'm a bit confused here, does it actually have WiMAX adapter or does it not have??
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi,
    Does the BIOS actually say WiMAX?  The Quick Path spec on your MTM is:
    Base 2767-2KG: P8600(2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 , 256MB ATI Radeon HD3470, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, Vodafone WWAN, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ether, UltraNav, Sec Chip, FPR, Camera, 9c Li-Ion, WinVista Bus 32
    Z.
    The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
    English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

• Black shadows appears on bottom of the LCD of my Thinkpad T400 laptop!

There are multiple, technically seven, black shadows appearing on the bottom my lcd like black headlights glowing outwards from the bottom. Sometimes it disappears but now it has appeared agian. I'll be thankful for any suggestion.

Hi Mehran94,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with Display on your ThinkPad T400.
    We have verified the image and the issue is related to LCD panel, but I suggest you to check with reseating the LCD cable on both the side which is connected to the LCD panel and also to the system board.
    Please click here to visit the link on how to remove the system hardware parts.
    Hope this helps.
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Bluetooth drivers for thinkpad x200

it appears my windows 7 32bit thinkpad x200 has question marks at bluetooth adapters in device manager.
    I have installed the drivers that are available on the website of lenovo producer, but no change is observable. 
    The device seems to work well, that is share and access files with android smartphone, and use android's internet, but when it comes to sharing internet with the smartphone, there is no transmission. I wonder if broken drivers could be the cause. 
    any experiences?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi Gnite,
    Welcome to Lenovo Community!
    As per the query we understand that you are facing the issue with Bluetooth on your ThinkPad X200.
    Uninstall all the Bluetooth drivers which you have installed in your system, after uninstalling restart the system and download ThinkVantage system update utility from Lenovo support site and install it.
    After installation run the application so that it will search all the required drivers and application for your system.
    Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Hemanth Kumar
    Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
    If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
    Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

• Requirement for bluetooth hardware

Perhaps something very simple is eluding me, but WHY do some files/"applications" require bluetooth hardware to be opened? I don't see any relationship between some of these and wireless connectivity.

Hi,
    To be able to answer your first 2 questions, we need to know what is the model/product of your machine (DV6 is a series of hundreds or even thousands of models/products). Please use the following way to find out:
       http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108
    Which OS is it running now ?
    Q3. Yes.
    Regards.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• Bluetooth Hardware for my notebook DV6

I have a Pavilion Notebook DV6 PC. 
    Problem 1: From Day 1 the audio of this notebook is absolutely pathetic. Unless you have a headphone or speakers, one cannot hear anything. 
    Is there anyway to get the audio systems enhanced? 
    Problem 2: I purchased a blue tooth enabled wireless speakers. My laptop does not have the blue tooth feature. Steps I took now to get it up and running: a) Install Broadcom Blue tooth drivers. Issue: Bluetooth still does not come up in the list of wireless adapaters. b) Intel WIFI technology is disabled. Issue: Does not enable. Not sure what to do? Do I need to enable it so my bluetooth will be installed properly. c) Where can i find Bluetooth hardware to install it on my laptop Issue: i cannot find it in the HP site. d) Does the Bluetooth hardwares come with the softare drivers too? 
    Problem 3: Is this the right forum to state my problems? 
    Any help would be aprpeciated, 
    Uma

Hi,
    To be able to answer your first 2 questions, we need to know what is the model/product of your machine (DV6 is a series of hundreds or even thousands of models/products). Please use the following way to find out:
       http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108
    Which OS is it running now ?
    Q3. Yes.
    Regards.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• Intel PRO/Wirele​ss 5100 drivers for Thinkpad T400 missing from lenovo site

Hi,
    There is wireless drivers missing from lenovo´s download site.
    Link to T400 driver download page:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?lndocid=MIGR-70439
    has link to here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen​t.do?lndocid=MIGR-62875
    But that old driver that dont support new T400
    Where i can find correct drivers to download
    System info:
    Thinkpad T400 Model:276812G
    Windows XP
    Message Edited by outouser on 09-23-2008 10:47 AM
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Temporary solution.
    Download drivers from intel website
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.asp​x?strTypes=all&ProductID=2963&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

• Thinkpad T400 Screen broken

Basically, I set my laptop down on my books too hard, and the LCD cracked(Not horribly, but I want it replaced).
    After a while of searching with lenovo's system, this is what I found:
    http://gyazo.com/b8b094e346dd7263d26c5986d48ea8b5.png
    So I assume I need an LCD with Manufacturer's P/N of 42T0495? Does it have to have that part number, or is it fine to find any other PANEL LGD 14.1" WXGA from a thinkpad, or do I have to have a LCD with the FRU number that is the same as it says on the page?
     Where would you recommend me buy the LCD?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Will this screen work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380653720307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    According to your posts, I think it does. But I just want to confirm.
    Also, from the photos on eBay, the some LCDs for the screen seem to have different cables on the LCD.
    When I opened up my laptop, I took a look at the back of the LCD, there was no cable runnning down from it.
    T400 screen with no cable running from it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-R400-T400-14-1-LCD-WXGA-Screen-B141EW05-V-3-42T0699-grade-b-...
    Screen with Cable running down the back:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T400-14-1-LCD-Screen-Panel-42T0580-42T0581-Samsung-LTN141W1-L05-WXG...
    Or maybe I'm just being really stupid, cause I unplugged a cable when I removed the LCD. Is that what it is?
    Take apart video I used:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2R4oUUM5nc (skip to 3:20 for when he takes off the LCD)
    Thanks so much for your help.

• No Bluetooth hardware in $850 E3S21UA#ABA ?

Looked all over the place in this E3S21UA#ABA Envy 15' Win 8.1 Laptop and can not find any Bluetooth hardware. Looked in Device Manager>Network Adapters and all I see is Realtek Family Controller and WiFi adapter.
    This question was solved.
    View Solution.

Hi:
    You are correct.
    The specs for the HP ENVY 15-j006cl Notebook PC indicate wireless only.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03942496&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...
    If you use bluetooth, you should be able to easily swap out the existing wlan card with one that also has bluetooth, listed in chapter 3 on pages 25-26 of the service manual.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733656.pdf
    I would not get the Mediatek model.  Lots of connectivity problems.
    Give the choices listed, if it were me, I would opt for the Intel 2230.
    Specs on the card.
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-wireless-n-2230.html
    None of the cards listed are dual band (2.4/5.0 GHz) cards.
    You can get one on ebay for cheap.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=670290-001&_sop=15

• After 10.8.5 bluetooth hardware disapeared and sound control on keyboard stopped working

after 10.8.5, bluetooth hardware disapeared from system info. Sound controls on keyboard stopped working.
    all works fine in safe mode. i have already zapped the PRAM, applied the combo update and deleted the bluetooth prefs with same results.
    Mike

Please read this whole message before doing anything.
    I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, they may not work as described.
    This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
    Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software — potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions — they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac. 
    These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing. 
    Below are instructions to enter some UNIX shell commands. The commands are harmless, but they must be entered exactly as given in order to work. If you have doubts about the safety of the procedure suggested here, search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of ill effects. 
    Some of the commands will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but each one is really just a single line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then copy it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands. 
    Note: If you have more than one user account, Step 2 must be taken as an administrator. Ordinarily that would be the user created automatically when you booted the system for the first time. The other steps should be taken as the user who has the problem, if different. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply. 
    Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways: 
    ☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.) 
    ☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens. 
    ☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid. 
    When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign (“$”) or a percent sign (“%”). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign. 
    Step 1 
    Triple-click the line of text below on this page to select it:
    kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}' | open -ef 
    Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Then click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. If the command produced no output, the window will be empty. Post the contents of the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window), if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. You can then close the TextEdit window. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that. No typing is involved in this step.
    Step 2 
    Repeat with this line:
    { sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|cups|isc|ntp|postf|x)/{print $3}'; echo; sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook; echo; sudo crontab -l; } 2> /dev/null | open -ef 
    This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which you do have to type. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type it carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Heed that warning, but don't post it. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. 
    Note: If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before taking this step. If that’s not possible, skip to the next step. 
    Step 3
    { launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'; echo; crontab -l 2> /dev/null; } | open -ef 
    Step 4
    ls -A /e*/{cr,la,mach}* {,/}Lib*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts .la* 2> /dev/null | open -ef  
    Important: If you formerly synchronized with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address may appear in the output of the above command. If so, anonymize it before posting. 
    Step 5
    osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of login items' | open -ef 
    Remember, steps 1-5 are all copy-and-paste — no typing, except your password. Also remember to post the output. 
    You can then quit Terminal.

• Thinkpad T400 Blu-ray drive

I recently purchased and Blu-Ray drive, part number 39T2853, for my Thinkpad T400. Can this drive be popped into the Ultraslim bay and used right away? Or do I have to install additional encryption software, firmware, and such? My original drive is a simple DVD-ROM.
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

the drive you purchased is for a R61, it has a PATA connection and it is a ultrabay enhanced drive (12.7 mm thick). You would need a Serial ATA Blu-ray Drive in ultrabay slim format (9.5 mm thick)
    Regards,
    Jin Li
    May this year, be the year of 'DO'!
    I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

• Really Weird One: Install Ubuntu on Partition, Bluetooth Hardware Disappear

So ... I cloned my Mac OS X install onto an external drive, repartitioned my hard drive, cloned my install back onto my hard drive, and installed Ubuntu on the new, smaller partition.
    But now, on the Mac OS X install side, as far as Mac OS X is concerned, Bluetooth doesn't exist -- it's as if this system doesn't have Bluetooth hardware.
    I haven't even the faintest idea where to start. Any ideas?

I have the same problem (I have an nforce3 board) where sometimes both eth0 and eth1 won't work, and the only way to fix it is to shutdown and start over (oh, and I don't think it's an Arch64 problem, since it happened to me in Arch32 as well).  It doesn't happen often enough to bother me though, so I haven't really looked into it.  As for problem where eth0 and eth1 switch, maybe this will help (so far it is working for me).
    From  /etc/udev/readme-udev-arch.txt:
    - The "proper" way to configure net interfaces to hold static names within udev rules.  Add lines like these to a custom rules file such as
      /etc/udev/rules.d/01-network.rules:
        SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff", NAME="lan0"
        SUBSYSTEM=="net", SYSFS{address}=="ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa", NAME="wlan0"
    - To get the right mac address use this command:
        udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/net/<yourdevice>
    - Make sure you use lower-case hex values in your udev rules.
    - NAME= determines the name of your network card.  Use these names in your
      network configuration in rc.conf as well.

• Bluetooth hardware hdx 16t 1200

I can't find bluetooth in my device manager. I recently couldn't find my biometrics fingerprint scanner either but found a solution on the forums and it appeared. Is there a way to download the hardware or is there a fix. I wiped my computer and fresh installed windows 7 ultimate twice. I just cant find a way to restore the bluetooth hardware on the device manager. Any help would be awesome. 

Hello chsher01,
    I understand you are having issues with your Bluetooth not showing up in your Device Manager. If you could post which wireless devices is installed in your computer I can attempt to find you the correct driver. The fact that this is a CTO unit means that the installed hardware may be different from the standard unit.
    Please re-post with either a screen shot of your Device Manager showing your Wireless device or indicating the name of the device in your post. Thank you posting this issue on the HP Forums. Have a great day!
    Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!
    Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.
    Dunidar
    I work on behalf of HP
    Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!
    "Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter

Maybe you are looking for

• WLC, Bonjour, Airprint in diffrent SSID

Hi, I have two wlc 5508 version 7.5.102.0. one foreign and one anchor. the APs are connectet to the foreign wlc.foreign wlc has a tunnel to anchor wlc. On Anchor, I creat the SSIDs and there are breakout to internet. I use an apple iPad and HP MFP 27

• Problems making coupon box in Indesign CS4

I'm new to Indesign, in fact I'm using CS4 at the public library until I can afford my own copy. While creating an ad, I made a coupon box.  But the color of the dashes changed colors as they went around the box.  On the right it was black but on the

• Flash file size

Hi there, This is really just a general question but when would you decide that your Flash site is too big to load as one movie and split it up into external swfs? For example how many KB's would you let your site get up to before you start making so

• Preventing a glitch during signal generation

I've got two high speed digital IO cards (NI PCI-6541) generating simultaneous waveforms, and I'm getting a 120 – 150 ns glitch from one during the generation process. The waveforms have ~ 200k samples at a sampling rate of about ~ 20 MHz. For each b

• Cannot rename or delete folder on a shared drive

I'm having an issue where I cannot rename or delete a folder on a shared drive. I am the creator of the folder and there are no files in it. This is not the first time this happened and usually later in the day I am somehow able to then rename it.  T