SSD rails for T430s and T420

I am not technical - let me state that up front
I recently bought 2 SSD SATAIII hard drives to put in a 430s and a 420.  The drives fit......but the rails that I have don't seem to fit once I apply the caddy around the new 7mm hard drive - now I'm looking for rails for these 2 drives - any help is much appreciated - an amazon link to what I need to ensure I get the right part would be ideal
Thanks a lot

Skoop has  you headed in the right direction.  I'll add a couple of details.
Both of those laptops use a sort of internal carrier for the HDDs.  It wraps the drive and has a pair of rubber rails that fill the space between the carrier and the sides of the HDD slot.  You said that there were no drives.  Are the carriers also missing?  eBay may be your friend there.
Depending on the carrier used in the T420 you may need a spacer to make a 7mm drive fit properly.  Some SSDs come with a spacer.  I can't tell if that Intel drive does.
Here are the Hardware Maintenance Manual links.  You can see what the drive carriers look like.
Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T420, T420i 
Hardware Maintenance Manual
[edit] Just to add another wrinkle:  both of those laptops can take an mSATA SSD - if the slot isn't occupied already by a WWAN card.
Z.
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.  The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog
English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Сообщество

Similar Messages

• Newby with a T430 and T420

Hi all I am hoping this forum will help me. I have a Lenovo T420 and aT430 T420 I7 2640M cpu @ 2.8ghz8g ram T430 I7 3520 cpu @ 2.9ghz16gb ramssd 840 evo 120gb for startup I have put 750gb black HD in both of these in the dvd player using a caddy, the one in the 430 make no sound and is hardly on at all but the one in the 420 seems to be on most or all of the time. I am not very savvy on computers but would love to get the max i can out of these thinkpads would like to put a ssd in the 420 and another 8gb ram to make it 16 same as the 430 as the 430 runs very well.what is the max size ssd that can be used in the 420, i have heard that there is a limit, any help will make my day. cheers

There is no limit, though you will probably need to use UEFI if you want to use a disk over 2TB.

• Best way to migrate to a  new SSD drive for performance and reliabilility

Hello all,
    My 2011 15" MacBook Pro is about 3 weeks old and my new OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD is coming in tomorrow.
    What is the best way to move my system over to the new drive? I have Time Machine backups on my external Firewire drive as well as complete drive images made with CCC. I have read where some have had problems cloning to a new SSD using a drive image.
    My plan is to format the drive and install the OS with the cd then move my applications and files over with Time Machine but it would be much easier to just clone the existing drive image but I don't want any problems down the road. What is the best practice?
    Thanks.

Follow this outline:
    +Step One+: Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions
    Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Quit and shutdown.
    If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.
    +Step Two+: Remove the old drive and install the new drive. Place the old drive in an external USB enclosure. You can buy one at OWC who are also a good vendor for drives.
    +Step Three+: Boot from the external drive. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager appears. Select the icon for the external drive then click on the downward pointing arrow button.
    +Step Four+: New Hard Drive Preparation
    1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
    2. After DU loads select your new hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
    3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
    +Step Five+: Clone the old drive to the new drive
    1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
    2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
    3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
    4.Check the box labeled Erase destination.
    5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
    6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
    7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.
    Destination means the new internal drive.
    Source means the old external drive.
    +Step Six+: Open the Startup Disk preferences and select the new internal volume. Click on the Restart button. You should boot from the new drive. Eject the external drive and disconnect it from the computer.

• Using SSD Drives for Booting and Apps

If I installed a fairly small SSD drive to boot from, would I be able to move my main Applications folder over to this drive as well? Would this improve an app's loading time as much as it improves the computer's booting time?
    Thanks,
    Adam

This is a constant question with new threads all the time about SSD, moving or leaving home folder, and applications.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13181608
    SSDs do better if they aren't so small that the lack of TRIM (made up for by background garbage collection) and over-provisioning, as well as handling write amplification.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification
    Sometimes the boot drive is going to be used, and needs that 20GB of free space. Some try to limit writing to SSD.
    Smaller units don't always have the same specs, and some can be darn-right slow when it comes to writes. And especially true of some of the newest generation SSDs that are barely shipping now.
    Pull your old drive and keep it off line as backup.
    Copy your media and data folders and libraries.
    Some leave their home folder with just home library ~/Library
    Which is where your prefs, email, etc are kept and gets a lot of high I/O, but also where web browser abuse disk drives, generally doesn't get much beyond 1GB storage.
    Boot time is over rated sign of performance. And for some reason can be slower. Not everyone is happy with apps launching, others find it makes a huge difference. Some SSDs I read where OS X wouldn't install so they had to clone their system using CCC or SuperDuper. CCC lets you copy just what you need.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2729621
    SSD and RAID
    http://discussions.apple.com/messageview.jspa?messageID=11668255
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12866414
    Writing zeroes is not a good idea as it is still just 'writing'.
    Any Sand Force (such as OWC that now switched to using SF controller) have BGC. The newer units have even more aggressive garbage collection.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=679&Itemid =60&limit=1&limitstart=3
    Inside an SSD's DNA (the how and engineering side)
    http://www.diskeeper.com/blog/post/2010/12/31/Inside-SSDs.aspx
    Windows 7, also gives a good idea of OS compatibility
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-dr ives-and.aspx
    Asking about TRIM support in 10.6 (has showed in System Profile but never showing as Enabled or Yes.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/2010MacBookPro_SSDreports.html#storytop
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Overview.html

• Cheap SSD solution for Pismo (and other IDE/ATA laptops)

I have a Pismo 400 that is now relegated to web surfing duties for my children and not much else. The original Fujitsu 6 Gig hard drive was sounding more and more like farm machinery, so I thought I'd try a do it yourself solid state drive instead of picking up a laptop drive that'll never be filled up and is pretty much obsolete for any other purpose.
    There's a store on eBay that sells adapters for Compact Flash memory cards so they can be plugged in as a 2.5" IDE hard drive. This places sells them for $5 Canadian with free shipping from Hong Kong, whereas in Canadian stores these are around $25. I ordered one and it came in about 10 days.
    I went to a computer parts store and purchased the cheapest 8 Gig CF card listed as 133x. It came to just under $30 Cdn including taxes.
    The adapter seems to have one more pin on the IDE side than the original drive (or the Mac socket has holes), but the socket on the Pismo has a rubber spacer (rather than hard plastic) so you just plug them in.
    After a typical for Pismo exhausting 1-2 minute installation process, I fired it up. It didn't see the drive when I booted with an OS X 10.3 install disk. I suspect if I'd used the original OS 9 CD it would have found the drive, which was formatted FAT. I pulled the CF/IDE combo out and plugged it in to a USB/IDE adapter and formatted the card on my MacBook. Back in the Pismo the drive was found and I installed OS 9 and 10.3 and updated them to 9.2.2 and 10.3.9.
    The card and adapter aren't attached to the Mac and just hang off the end of the ribbon cable in the drive cage. If I were hauling the Pismo around a lot I'd make up a foam wedge to keep it from moving too much.
    I haven't done any speed tests. It runs Safari and doesn't feel any slower. Waking from sleep should be a lot quicker.
    The nicest thing is the Pismo is now silent.
    There are bigger and faster CF cards, but they cost a lot more.

I have been wanting to try this for a while, but not on my Pismo, Lombard or Wallstreet which all run OSX but on my older 3400 or 1400.
    Would they work running OS8 or 9 on the CF card ?
    Stewie

• Hard Drive Bay (Caddy) and drive for T430

Very confused about what the recommended HDD Caddy for T430 is. (to swap DVD drive with a 2nd HDD)
    Also, is there a non Lenovo HDD that works with this? 1 TB drive preferred.
    Thanks.

Ultrabay caddies come in two thicknesses, 12.7mm for T430 and T530 (0A65623), and 9.5mm for T430s (43N3412.)
    You can buy these from Lenovo or you can get "clone" caddies quite inexpensively on eBay, e.g. 9.5mm Bezel SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive caddy bay for T400s T500 T410s X200 is $10 for a 9.5mm unit. This is what I have in my T430s. A 9.5mm caddie will fit into your T430 but will leave a small gap at the top. You can search to see what 12.7mm caddies are available.  
    I haven't tested the clone caddies with HDDs larger than 500GB. There's no reason they won't work. Note that the HDD must be no thicker than the caddy in order to fit physically. Since you have a T430 with 12.7 Ultrabay opening this shouldn't be an issue for you either.
    Cheers... Dorian Hausman
    X1C2, TPT2, T430s, SL500, X61s, T60p, A21p, 770, 760ED... 5160, 5150... S360/30

• Getting new Mac for Aperture and have a question...

I totally realize that this is a personal preference with no "wrong" way to do it. However, I would appreciate some thoughts so I can form a better idea of how I will set up an Aperture workflow that will work for me for a long time and how to configure my new iMac.
    I use the referenced library workflow and store both my masters and Aperture library on my current internal drive with both backed up to externals. I'm getting a new Mac with the SSD drive for apps and OS (and Aperture library as well). The question is, should I get the mega 2 TB internal HDD along with that SSD for all my masters (which would also include my music and home-made movies)?
    My current photo storage adds up to only 130GB right now and grows slowly. I don't even think I would double that in the next year. I realize that if I had, say, a 1.5 TB size Masters library, the the answer would be obvious that I would need to store externally because the iMac HDD isn't big enough. But that isn't my situation.
    But since I would be able to fit all my photos on an internal HDD (2TB) to use as referenced, is there a better reason to skip the internal 2TB HDD and just get hooked up with some good, high-speed external system and stick with an internal SSD to just handle the OS, music, and apps? In other words, all my media (photos and movies) would always be stored AND edited from an external drive (I will actually edit on the SSD and then move the referenced files to the external). This means that from now on all new Macs I ever get will only need a moderate sized SSD for OS and apps. I would basicallt forever keep all things media on externals.
    I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help with this.

jbshanks wrote:
    One other thing... the only way for me to get a 1GB VRAM now is to buy the top-of-the-line iMac. That's the issue.
    I've seen that also. That's why I added the "If you can wait.." statement.
    If you need to purchase before say late October, then the specs you list for the 21" iMac are quite good and the possibility of developers designing GPU threads that require caching in the VRAM may or may not need amounts beyond 512 MB. The fact that Apple offers an upgrade to the 2 GB VRAM video adapter on their high-end machine tells me that they know that the Pro Apps will be able to take advantage of that amount (not that it is necessary for the enthusiast looking to have a good Aperture experience).
    SierraDragon has much more experience than I with Aperture, so he may be able to shed some light on this one.
    For my part, I run a 17" MacBook Pro (late 2011) which has the 2.5 Ghz i7, 8 GB Apple provided RAM, and the AMD 6770 with 1 GB VRAM. I installed an OWC 480 GB SSD and I am connected to the Apple Thunderbolt Display (because this machine only offers a Thunderbolt port to connect video signals with). Aperture runs fine on my machine (although for some reason cropping takes a couple of seconds now, where it was immediate before the AP 3.3 update). I run Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 without any issues on this machine, so it is definitely capable of running in a professional environment.
    Since your specs call-out a 2.8 Ghz i7, 16+ GB RAM and an SSD, I personally would not hesitate to purchase that machine if you need to purchase soon. I just mentioned the 1 GB VRAM due to your wanting to be able to handle 4+ years of updates to the OS and software. That doesn't mean the 512 GB VRAM won't work great, just that the 1 GB VRAM would be additional insurance (sort of like Apple Care).

• Difference between i5 and i7 cpu for photography and design purposes

I need to replace my old MBP and am not too familiar with tech specs concerning CPU and memory. I'm a photographer and use Adobe Lightroom and onOne Perfect Suite7. Working with images is my main goal. For video rendering and "heavy" stuff I have an iMac 27" i7. So a MacBook doesn't need to be a one in all solution.
    I compared a MBA 13" all-in, with a MBP 15" and a MBP 13" Retina. All configured with 8GB Ram I get price offers which vary a lot between these three models. My question is there a significant difference between the different CPUs for photo editing and design purposes? I don't want to spend a heap of money since MBs are pricey enough.

Yes, on the big plus side of the non retina MBP is the possibility to tweak it a little by myself. I threw away the superdrives and replaced them with SSD drives for OSX and have second drives for all the data in my machines. CD and DVD is ancient storage technology anyway. Also did I upgrade RAM myself without paying Apple's ridiculous prices.
    With the upgrade to the widescreen non glossy display, I think I will be set up properly. However, I will checkout those retina displays tomorrow, just to really know it.
    But one question remains: Which CPU might be sufficient in the long run? I tend towards the 2,6GHz with 1GB RAM GPU
      2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512 MB GDDR5 RAM
      2,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB GDDR5 RAM [+ 200,00 €]
      2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB GDDR5 RAM [+ 450,00 €]

• Help!!! I force inserted a 9.5mm SSD into the harddrive slot of T430 and can't take it out.

Help!!!
    Just got my new T430 and did some hardwar upgrade.
    Bought an Intel 520 Series 180G SSD. Thougth it was 7mm. (But later found out 520 series come in two sizes 7 and 9.5mm)
    I took out the original HDD (with rubber rails) and forced inserted the SSD into the empty harddrive slot.
    Now it's really securely stuck in the slot  and I can't think of a way to get it out. 
    Called customer service, they say it's not their original configuration so not under warranty. they suggest I go to a local computer shop. 
    Can someone give me some suggestions about what I should do ??  
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

You can often get access to the drive by removing the palmrest, but T430 has a 1-piece palmrest-keyboard bezel and they are harder to get off. DON'T MAKE IT WORSE. If you are not sure what you are doing, take it to a dealer. You might feel stupid asking for that kind of help, but you will REALLY feel stupid if you break your new, expensive machine.

• W530: Rails for 9mm SSD

I just placed my order for a W530 and plan on replacing the 320GB HDD with a OCZ Agility 3 SSD that I have laying around the house.  I found out the SSD is 9.3mm and I am assuming the main drive bay is 7mm. What is the SKU for the rails so I can fit the SSD in there? Thanks!
    Edit:
    I found an adaptor that worked with the W520:
    http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/content/home/​store_IBMPublicUSA/en_US/parts/parts_main.html
    RUBBER SHEET FRU
    Product:
    41V9756
    $13.50
    $13.50
    Will these rubber rails also work for the main drive bay of the W530?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

I don't know -- I never did get replacement rails.  I put the 7mm SSD into the 9mm rails and it kinda sits in snugly.  I wouldn't want to drop it though, it would definitely bounce around (but then, there are no moving parts!).  I've considered cutting up the foam that the SSD came in to fill in the gap in the rails -- essentially the "official" 7mm rail is a 9mm rail with a divider inside to fit the 7mm drive.
    tr
    w530 i7-3820QM / 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM / 256GB Plextor M3P SSD / Quadro K1000M

• How do I use my SSD for apps and HDD for documents?

Hi, everyone.
    I just installed (myself) an Intel 120GB SSD into my 2011 iMac (3.4Ghz Quad-Core, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD). I kept the HDD.
    I run Logic Pro 9 and have around 200GB of additional sample plugins (VSL Solo Strings, Ivory Grand Pianos, Superior Drummer, etc..) and
    I want to know how I can successfully transfer the Apps (Logic, Sibelius, Pages, iTunes, etc...) onto my new SSD while keeping the plugins on my HDD and using them simultaneously.
    I having been searching for a way to do this all day to no avail.
    Thanks! If you can help.
    p.s. since some of the apps require registration, I cannot simply drag them to my SSD from the HDD and expect them to work. I get an error.

My suggestion is to move you entire home directory on to the hdd and leave the ssd for the os and your key applications.
    How to Move the Home Folder in OS X – and Why
    Move your home directory to another location

• Can the 128 GB SSD part of a fusion drive be replaced with a 960 GB SSD dive for greater performance and added storage?

Can the 128 GB SSD part of a fusion drive be replaced with a 960 GB SSD dive for greater performance and added storage in a 2012 mac mini?

First, I suspect Apple fine tuned its choice of SSD size for the Fusion drive based on the best performance/price ratio. I'd be surprised if a larger SSD provided any improvement that would justify the added price of a larger SSD.
    Second, if I could justify the cost of a 960 SSD drive I wouldn't bother with a Fusion drive!

• Looking at External SSD Drive for Lightroom Editing - How Can I Set This Up and Which Drive?

I'd like to purchase an external SSD drive for Lightroom editing and am hoping somebody can provide a recommendation for me.
    I'm using a FW800 G-Drive to store my Lightroom Library and have been using this drive to edit.  I'd like to add an external SSD drive for editing photographs an am looking for recommendations on which drive and the best way to set this up.  I plan on having a 3rd (and maybe 4th) to save both the FW800 files and working SSD drive files as a backup.
    Any recommendations are sincerely appreciate. 

I believe I was loading a preview file to 100%.  I think maybe I should just use what I have and work with it.  It's much faster than my 7 year old MBP performed that's for sure.
    I was just wondering if I could spend a few hundred for an external Thunderbolt or USB 3 drive to speed up my productivity.  With the full time job and the kids, I have a little time to work on photography.  I'd love to increase my output.  I'm more than willing to spend the money on the TB or USB 3 if it would help.
    The specs on the camera say 24.1 million pixels:  24.6 MB.  The raw files are
    NEF (RAW): 14 bit, compressed

• Is it possible to install an SSD for dv9000 and dv9010ca notbooks?

Is it possible to install an SSD for dv9000 and dv9010ca notbooks?

Hi,
    Please read this:
       http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Hard-Drive-upgrade-on-DV9000/td-p/58108/page/2
    Good luck.
    BH
    **Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

• SSD height for ThinkPad W530

Buying a hard drive for ThinkPads is a bit confusing because I don't really understand what height I need to buy.
    From my understanding there are 9.5mm, 7mm, and 3.75mm SSDs.
    Is it possible for me to buy a 9.5mm and have it fit into either the main drive bay or the ultrabay?
    Do I have to have a bay adapter or those rubber rails for the 7mm or 3.75mm SSDs?
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

That is VERY incorrect. 9.5mm drives fit unmodified. You MAY (depending on original drive size, the 320GB 5400RPM drive is like this) have rubber bumbers sized for a 7mm hard drive instead of 9.5mm, the replacement rubber rails are a few dollars to order; search for part number 41V9756.
    9.5mm drives fit unmodified in the internal hard-drive pay on the W530. I'm currently using a pair of WD10JUCT drives in my W530 + an mSATA SSD. The UltraBay adapter in fact will fit a 12.5mm hard drive, though it will *NOT* fit the 15mm 2TB drives out there.

Maybe you are looking for