International Warranty Service IWS or lack of it. ThinkPad T Series T61p or upcoming T400 and T500

For the past 3 months I have been trying to buy a T61p fully configured with IWS in the US and Latin America to replace my trustworthy but aging IBM T42p.
It has been one of my worst buying experiences.
The only option Lenovo US sales offers when you call them is a type 6459 for the 15” or an 8891 for the 14” but these types do not have IWS in Latin America were I do most of my travelling. The 8891 does not even show the US in the IWS list as a country where you could get service. And Lenovo does have types for Latin America, the 6458 and 6457, but they are sold only trough outside vendors.
I was informed by a Lenovo sales person that they keep updating the IWS lists to include more countries and that I could buy the laptop with confidence. Another sales person told me all ThinkPads with IWS get the service worldwide.
I feel reluctant to buy the T61p before the list is supposedly updated and includes Latin American countries, and for the past 3 months I have not seen any changes or updates on the list of countries where IWS is offered for types 6459 or 8891. And I do check this EVERY day.
I have found that types 6458 and 6457, very similar to the 6459, do have IWS in Latin America, but Lenovo does not sell them directly, only trough vendors, and it’s very hard to find a vendor that has the exact same configuration that I need.
It looks to me as if Lenovo is not doing a good job at maintaining the list of IWS eligible countries for each notebook type. That is very disappointing. It’s also very frustrating trying to get a machine you know exists but that Lenovo does not have the tools or the will to configure and sell to you. This is also shows the lack of attention Lenovo is giving to customer care and customer satisfaction. I miss the IBM days when a customer service representative will always call you back to find out how were you treated when placing a service request or when placing an order. You have excellent machines but lack an understanding of customer satisfaction and seem not care to maintain your loyal customers.
I just got a Dell XPS, shipped in 5 DAYS with worldwide warranty and configured the way I wanted it ( I have proof of that if you need it ). However, I still would like to insist on the T61p and try to get one, configured the way I want it, with worldwide warranty… 
I would like to know what Lenovo is doing so that a T61p could be bought in the US, fully configured with IWS in Latin America. It’s right next door to you…
Or maybe I should wait for the T400 or T500 and hope they will get full IWS.
Look forward to your comments and your help.
Mario Crespi

Hmmm. I have a W520 and a dock. It's been running 8.1 since it's been out.
Renee

Similar Messages

• T420 International Warranty Service?

I bought a T420 in the US and I left it at home in Viet Nam (when I visited my parents). According to the International Warranty Service Terms And Conditions (English) my T420 is eligible for IWS in Viet Nam. When my father went to the Lenovo Service Center in Viet Nam, he was asked for the proof of travel (I prepared those for him because I read the terms), but after providing the Lenovo agent these documents (my documents), the agent refused because my father was not the original purchaser. Is this how it is supposed to be? If yes how do I transfer the ownership to my father?

veechee wrote:
    It is clearly stated that a ThinkPad has an international warranty.
    Have you actually read the IWS T&Cs?  There are clearly stated caveats for several ASEAN countries.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    I don't work for Lenovo

• How can I benefit of Apple's international warranty with my American iPhone in Italy?

Since I was in USA I bought an iPhone5 with a Verizon conctract and they assure me that, apart from the LTE frequencies, it had to work without any problem with an Italian carrier. Indeed it worked well for 3 months but, after updating to iOs 6.1.3, the cellular network usually started to crash, to show "no service" or to show service without working. I asked the Apple store and also Verizon about this problem but no one told me how to fix this problem, indeed the iPhone results to be unlocked. Moreover  I have a problem with the sleep/wake button but Apple Care told me that they can't change it because it's American even if on the website they assure that the warranty is international. Could someone help me?
    Thank you very much!

There is no international warranty for iphone, never has been.
    Apple has never claimed that the iphone has an international warranty.
    You would have to bring the iphone back to the U.S and then get it to Apple for service.

• About thinkpad warranty service for help

i am a Chinese college student, i will buy a X200 thinkpad and then i will go to Canada for study,
    i really want to know whether or not the X200 i bought in China will have the International warranty service in Canada,
    thank you !!!!!

Firstly, don't buy X200 in China, it costs like 2 times more than what it would cost in USA. International warranty coverage depends on what model of the X200 you buy.
    USA has the cheapest Thinkpad in the world, and Canada is certainly not much more expensive than USA, so get it Canada and that way you will get the best warranty coverage.

• International Warranty for pre-configured T420

Hi,
    I am interested to purchase the following laptop. I am from Singapore. The manufacturer part number is 417858U. I could not find the relevant warranty information from this or other websites. The warranty is 3 years, but I am not sure whether I will get on-site support, or whether I need to send the laptop to the repair center in Singapore/US to get it repaired. Also, whether I need to pay for the shipping myself. Could anyone in the forum help? Thanks a lot in advanced.
    http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_4178/417858U/11314507/
    Sincerely,
    Yee Kan
    Solved!
    Go to Solution.

Hi kohyeekan, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!
    According to the Personal Systems Reference tabook the 4178-58U has a depot repair service 3-year limited warranty (i.e. you send it to a local repair center).
    The International Warranty Service page shows that 4178 models are covered in Singapore.
    Hope this helps!
    I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

• Why does apple sell phones with "INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY" when they cant service the phone in India, which has been bought outside India ? Whats the use of their registered service centers ?

i got my iphone 5 as a gift from my friend when he went on a business tour to Dubai. i have a got problem with the native camera app and i contacted the customer care more then 3-5 times and they finally gave me a solution to check with the service centers avialble in  my city. i went all the way there from my place and they said you cant service your phone over here since its has been bought outisde India ! then why do APPLE ship phones ? why do they have REGISTERED SERVICE CENTRES in India ? why do they sell apple products with the tag INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY ?

There is a problem insofar as you did not buy the phone.   Any warranty would therefore apply to the buyer.   What I would suggest is this ...
    With the receipt in your hand, telephone the store where it was purchased.  Explain the situation and ask them how you should proceed.    You may find they'll only deal with your friend but if he/she is willing, it can still be pursued in your friend's name.
    Once you have agreed a way of getting it serviced you will need to return the phone, and as I suggested, by a registered post system that requires proof of delivery.  Most postal services do this.
    Pack the phone, preferably in its original box and surround it with extra packing. You do not want anyone to have grounds to say it was further damaged in transit.
    Include a dated letter stating what the fault is and affix to that a copy of the receipt.
    I hope you are successful.   Thank you for the star.

• Is apple service centers in india covers international warranty?

I have bend problem. totally accidental. i bought it from australia.

There is no international warranty.
    Your warranty reside in the country you bought it from.
    So you will need to go back to Australia to get your phone serviced.

• Hi, 1. If I buy a Mac book pro in the U.S., do I have international warranty in India? 2.If I buy an apple care in the U.S how i claim the service in India?

Hi,
    1. If I buy a Mac book pro in the U.S., do I have international warranty in India?
    2.If I buy an apple care in the U.S how i claim the service in India?
    Please answer the above questions anyone knows.
    Thanks in advance.

Yes.
    AppleCare is global in coverage.
    “Global repair coverage (1)”
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD012LL/A/applecare-protection-plan-for-macboo k-pro
    Click “Africa, Middle East & India”, then India
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appgeos.html

• Satellite L850-Y3110 - Question about International warranty

I bought a Satellite laptop L850-Y3110 in India which has an international warranty.
    There's a problem with it now, it's cd drive is faulty and I took it to an authorized service centre in Newcastle.
    It needs the cd driver to be replaced, but now Im told Toshiba wont give the part cause I didn't but it in the UK, and the person told me to go back to where I bought it from and fix it there, I wont be going back there any time soon, so thats out of the option.
    My question is what's the point of the International warranty if it's going to have these kinds of drawbacks.
    When I bought a laptop I wanted one which would be in warranty internationally cause Im a student going out of the country for studies, thats why I bought this one as it has international warranty and my laptop still is in international warranty.
    What am I to do now?

Hi
    Im not quite sure about the notebooks sold in India but the notebooks sold in Europe are covered with at least 1 year European standard warranty, valid from the date of purchase
    http://www.toshiba.eu/services/standard-warranty/
    This warranty does not cover repair in other countries but in case of hardware malfunction you have to visit the authorized service provider in country where you made the purchase.
    To get international warranty coverage you would need to purchase an International Warranty extension: details here http://www.toshiba.eu/services/warranty-extension/
    In case the International Warranty has been registered for your notebook, the ASP in UK should be able to fix the notebook under international warranty conditions.

• I'd like to buy an iPhone 4S in France directly from the Apple Store, not from the operators. But, I will go back to my country, Thailand. So, I'm wondering to know that there is an INTERNATIONAL warranty for iPhone, and is it valid in Thailand (warranty)

I'd like to buy an iPhone 4S in France directly from the Apple Store, not from the operators. But, I will go back to my country, Thailand. So, I'm wondering to know that there is an INTERNATIONAL warranty for iPhone, and is it valid in Thailand (warranty). Would it be able to be claimed at the iStudio in Thailand?

There is NO International Warranty for the iPhone.  Your best bet is to purchase one in Thailand.  If you purchase a phone in France, you will NOT get warranty service on it in Thailand and will have to return it to France (or any EU country) for warranty service.

• I had recently purchased a iphone 5s in Oman and had to move to India.I am facing some hardware issues with the earphone slot. When i plug in the earphone there is lot of disturbance heard. Can i get it repaired in India under international warranty?

I had recently purchased a iphone 5s with OS version 7.1.2 in Oman and had to move to India.I am facing some hardware issues with the earphone slot. When i plug in the earphone there is lot of disturbance heard. Can i get it repaired in India under international warranty?

No. The iPhone warranty is not international. You will need to have warranty service done in Oman.

• I bought an iphone6 T-Mobile Contract free from US. Can i gift it to my parents in India. Will a nano-SIM card with any Indian carrier work? Will my international warranty still be valid?

I bought an iphone6 T-Mobile Contract free from US. Can i gift it to my parents in India.?
    Will a nano-SIM card with any Indian carrier work? They will have to just toss away the T-Mobile SIM and put in nano sim for any Indian carrier, right?
    Will my international warranty still be valid? In case of any repairs/services, can that be done in India? Will these services be charged while the phone is in warranty period?

If the phone is purchased in the united states, warranty service will need to be provided in the united states.

• Get warranty services abroad

Hi guys
    I brought a laptop last year in June, now I work in china.
    Recently, my laptop remind me to change battery.
    I wonder could I get warranty services in china? and how?
    and could I replace a free battery from HP?
    Thanks!

Which notebook are you using? Business or Consumer one?
    AFAIK, only Business line have limited international warranty.
    Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD

• Terrible warranty service

So, I am a long time customer of Lenovo, having bought several of their laptops for personal and business use for many years. Usually I have been happy, but Lenovo's warranty service seems to have taken a huge turn for the worse. Recently my ideapad U series broke; a hardware malfunction where the mouse trackpad no longer works. This happened at around 11 months into the purchase, so the 12-year basic arranty should have covered it, right? Not so. I sent my laptop back, but the answer I got from 3 different Lenovo technicians is that the mouse is cosmetic only. **bleep**? How is an issue where the mousepad hardware doesn't work cosmetic? Mouse functionality is pretty important on a Windows machine... After several weeks, I ended up just buying a new laptop...NOT from Lenovo. I'm really disappointed in Lenovo, and they just lost a long-time repeat customer due to a minor issue for something that CLEARLY was covered by the warranty that they refused to fix anyway. Why even have a warranty if you don't honor it at all?

We met the same problem: terrible warranty service! 
    In August 9, 2013, me and my mother bought two Lenovo desktops C440. One desktop is working without troubles, but another one beaked month before the end of warranty. In July 2014  ripples appeared on the computer screen. At first they appeared sporadically, then became regular. So it became impossible to use the desktop. Faulty computer was put to an authorized service center in St. Petersburg “LLC MicRoBiT-NC” on July 14, 2014. In the service center computer was tested to failure, however, the defect was not found.
    The day before the end of the warranty period we took the computer from the service center. Master of the service center advised me to capture the possible manifestations of the defect. Already on August 10, the defect has reappeared and then became, as before, to manifest more and more. Now the desktop screen is constantly in ripples. Meanwhile, the warranty was over and we asked Russian Lenovo office for the help. The answer shocked us. Lenovo representative explained to me on the phone that all risks of relationships with service centers lay on the buyer. And if one service center did not reveal the problem, we must apply to another service, pay to them (because warranty is over) and then, if the problem will be explained, file a claim to the first service center. However, said representative, Lenovo does not guarantee that another service center will set the source of the problem and the time when the damage occurred (during the warranty period or later). He also told me that we made a mistake have signed the certificate of the executed works, but without this signature, we could not return the computer.
    As interviewed experts (independent computers repairers) suggest, the problem is that Russian Lenovo does not worry for how competent service centers are and whether they provided with all the necessary diagnostic equipment. So service centers are often very little firms and do not have the necessary tools to diagnose the failure. Russian forums are full of complaints on service centers that do not reveal problems, but require money for diagnostics. The customer cannot be sure that the service center will identify the problem, because even if the center lacks the equipment and qualified expertise, the customer will never know about it. It will be noted by the service that the problem is not identified, or that it cannot be solved. However, Lenovo does not bother with this. The authorized Lenovo service center LLC MicRoBiT-NC, we applied to, has bad reputation according to forums reviews, and another authorized services in St. Petersburg are of the same reputation. Lenovo continues to cooperate with them, not paying attention to customers dissatisfaction.
    I asked Lenovo Company to help me  to overcome the indifference of the Russian office to my concerns, and ф certain Anthony Garcia mockingly send me to my oppressors instead of giving the address of the responsible persons in the Lenovo company (ref:_00D30V2Wu._50014lvR7v:ref)

• Why is there no international warranty option for iPhone 5?

Why is there not an option available to extend the iPhone warranty to an international warranty?
    Especially with a phone that you tend to take with you whenever you travel having to go to the country you bought it originally is a pain and sometimes not feasible.
    In my case : when I travelled from Hong Kong to a business trip in the Netherlands and then on to the US my iPhone 5 got stolen at the airport in Hong Kong. luckily I only had a prepaid SIM for Hong Kong in the iPhone so I went online and ordered a new simlock free  iPhone 5 at the Dutch online Apple store to be delivered in Amsterdam a few days later. So far, so good.
    I am currently in China and my iPhone 5 sleep button broke down. As I had to be in Hong Kong last week I thought I would stop by the Causeway Bay Apple Store after making a genius bar appointment. They checked the iPhone 5 and confirmed the sleep button was broken and it would be swapped for a new one. However on checking my serial number they told me I had to go back to The Netherlands to get it fixed.... So here is a problem, I am not planning on being there any time soon.
    Why is it not possible in the global economy we live in to get an international warranty?
    I called Apple Care and they suggested I could try in an Apple store in North Carolina where I am due in a few weeks, but they could not guarantee they would swap the phone.
    Now the end of July  I am due in the UK and from what I read now an iPhone bought in any EU country could be swapped in another EU country. so that would mean I could swap it in London?
    Very odd.  Always travel with my MacBook Air and MacBook Pro and these do have international warranty.

I have a different story.
    I got my Hong Kong version of iPhone 5 A1429 GSM in Japan(yes, complex)
    It had a defective power button so I took it to an Apple Store in Japan and they gave me a replacement. Altough at first they refused to service this one so I had to try at a different Apple Store, but no problem getting serviced.
    And the replacement had a battery drain issue so I had it swapped in Australia, with no problem.
    And I got this iPhone stolen, so I bought US GSM version(A1428) in Australia(again, complex).
    This one apparently had a problem starting up, got stuck at Apple logo even after so many restores.
    I took it to an Apple Store in Australia, they refused to service this one, stating this one was made for US market only and was a different model.
    So from what I understand, if it's unlocked and your local Apple Store has the same model, they still do the repair/replacement under warranty.

Maybe you are looking for

• The Phone Line that doesn't exist...

I've just moved into a new property, the day I moved in I phoned o2 to order their internet and line rental package. The guy I spoke to said he had checked with BT openreach and that the line to my address was ceased and that I would have to pay a co

• How to read XKOMV-EDATU, XKOMV-KBETR fields inside java

How do get the  XKOMV-EDATU date and pass it to ItemUserExit.java for database read and filtering. a. The code in ItemUserExit has to filter ZCPI2-ZSPMON for this date XKOMV-EDATU, the delivery date. This does not work. prItem.getPricingTimestamp ret

• Itunes not syncing correctly with my ipod

So i was downloading this new album to my ipod and when i synced it, i made sure to see if it was fine on my ipod there were these 3 songs that belonged in the album but were isolated in their own album. It either only showed the album name or just t

• Help me! Change Context root in weblogic portal 10.3.2

I has a desktop in weblogic portal with path is: http://localhost:7001/ABC/appmanager/t1/home , I want to change the string ABC => Portal with new is the path: http://localhost:7001/Portal/appmanager/ v1/home How to configuration? I need config file?

• Mac Mini as Print Server

When I upgraded all the household computers to Snow Leopard, we lost the ability to communicate with our old LaserWriter 600/4 because Snow Leopard doesn't support AppleTalk. Who knew? A solution appeared when my father replaced his Mac Mini with a n