Tomcat 5.5.12 with Solaris 10 on Sparc SunFire T2000

I am experiencing difficulty with installing Tomcat 5.5.12 on a Solaris 10 Sparc SunFire T2000 SunOS machine. Can someone please help?
After I untar the apache-tomcat-5.5.12.tar.gz like this:
gunzip < apache-tomcat-5.5.12.tar.gz | tar xvf -
I then tried to start the Tomcat like this:
[root@sun] ./bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.12
Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.12
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.12/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/bin
[root@sun]
But the Tomcat is not up, and the log file only says:
This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat
binary download page.
I have searched on the Internet and found some similar info that talks about the five steps to install Tomcat on a Solaris (http://johnturner.com/howto/apache2-tomcat4112-sol8-howto.html):
1. Build/Install Apache
2. Install JDK
3. Build/Install Tomcat
4. Build/Install JK Connector (between Apache and Tomcat)
5. Configure the whole setup and test both Apache and Tomcat.
However, I was also told that I should be able to just unzip the Tomcat and startup the sample web page.
Do I have to go through the whole five major steps to bring up Tomcat 5.5.12 on Solaris 10? I know that I need to use some GNU tools instead of Solaris tool such as tar for this effort. I'd like to avoid the major effort if all I need to just Tomcat.
I'd appreciate any help that you may have.
- Andy

I guess tomcat 5.5.20 be installed on JDK 1.4 using the comaptiblity package given in link http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi#5.5.20.
But I have not tried.
Does any one know how to ?
Thanks in advance.

Similar Messages

• Cannot create guest virtual machine with Solaris 10 SPARC in Oracle VM 2.2

Dear All,
    I try many times to create guest virtual machine with Solaris 10 SPARC but not get success.
    When I created it already and then I start the Power On button, it run normally but the Console button cannot click on (hide). After that the virtual machine running abit then it change status to Powered Off.
    Please kindly give advice for this.
    Thanks and regards,
    Heng

I storgly doubt, VMware player is available for Solaris 10 SPARC version.
    Solaris 10 is not a comercial product, like ubuntu, windows, MAC etc... It's really for a server.
    That's the reason still I hate Solaris 11 as a desktop. You have very limited product/software.... This may change for Solaris 11, but U can't expect one for Solaris 10.

• How to install a single 2Gb FC adapter with Solaris 10 SPARC ?.

Hi All,
    I have the Sun Box runing Solaris 10 SPARC, i tried to install PCI single 2Gb FC adapter on this Server in order to connect to Sun Storage FC. At Ok prompt, i tried to run show-devs and looked the path /pci@1e,600000/SUNW,qlc@2 and supposed that physical installation for this adapter is ok.
    But i don't know whether Solaris 10 SPARC included the required drivers for this adapter already or not. Pls show me how to get correct drivers for this adapter and how to test to look if it's working properly under Solaris 10 SPARC ?.
    Thanks
    Scott

Yes, it's part#X6767A supported for entry SPARC Sun Fire server Line.
    I tried to seach drivers via qlogic.com and it leads me to the sunsolve.com for the download but the download is required to login with a service plan from Sun. So sun wanted to charge for these patches/drivers.
    Do you know which site/link is free for Sun drivers in gerneral ?.
    Thanks
    Scott

• Does SSH come installed with Solaris 10 SPARC

How to enable SSH on new Solaris 10 box (SPARC)
    Thanks

Enabling ssh for root login:
    Change an entry:
    PermitRootLogin yes
    in */etc/ssh/sshd_config*

• Solaris 10 Sparc and Oracle 11g DB with GG

Hi,
    I have Solaris system with Solaris 10 Sparc and Oracle 11g DB.
    From the Golden gate download list I downloaded the Golden Gate for Oracle 11g and Solaris 10.
    I tried to Install but I am getting the following error..
    $ ldd ggsci
    ldd: ggsci: ELF machine type: EM_AMD64: is incompatible with system
    Can you please let us know which might be the best golden gate software for us.

Vinod wrote:
    I have Solaris system with Solaris 10 Sparc and Oracle 11g DB.
    From the Golden gate download list I downloaded the Golden Gate for Oracle 11g and Solaris 10.
    I tried to Install but I am getting the following error..
    $ ldd ggsci
    ldd: ggsci: ELF machine type: EM_AMD64: is incompatible with system
    Can you please let us know which might be the best golden gate software for us.Possibly the solaris x86_64 build was downloaded, instead of the build for solaris sparc? (I think all of our current solaris builds are 64-bit.) It's almost certainly a download / OS mismatch.
    What exact file did you download (what's the file name, before unzipping it), and on your solaris box, what's the result of => "uname -a" and/or "isainfo -v" ...? Just make sure the downloaded file matches what the box is running...
    Btw, not that it matters in this case, but if you were hypothetically running a 32-bit database on a 64-bit OS, you'd need a 32-bit build of GoldenGate. But I don't know why you'd do that. (And that's not the problem here.)

• How I can emulate Solaris 10 sparc on a Virtual Machine?

Hi for all.
    Guys, I need to emulate an environment Solaris 10 in my job. We have an application that just run in this kind of environment. But, I found some problems when I try to install Solaris 10 Sparc on Virtual Box. I think that the problem is the type of architecture that are differents.
    So, someone knows a way to emulate Solaris 10 sparc architecture on a Virtual Machine. Doesn't matter the Virtual Machine application (Virtual Box, VMWare, etc..). Somebody Help me?

HI Srini_Chavali
    I'm using the Solaris 10 u11.
    In fact, Virtual Box supports Solaris u6 and higher. I have an installation of Virtual Box running Solaris x86. But, the problem occurs when I try to create a Virtual machine to work with Solaris 10 Sparc architecture.
    The errors that appears on the screen are:
    "No bootable medium found! System Halted" and "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted"
    This error occurs just with Architecture sparc.

• Several mysterious problems with Solaris 11 x86 install

Hi folks,
    I've recently installed Solaris 11 x86 as a replacement for Solaris 9 SPARC on an Ultra 2 machine. I like the operating system, but I've promptly acquired some mysterious problems. The computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo E2500 with a Pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, an 80 GB SATA disk and a 147 GB SCSI disk.
    I have had a few occasions on which the screen goes totally blank, the monitor claims that there is no signal, and I have to restart the machine. However, with the blank screen, the hard drive activity light is sometimes still flashing. This happens predictably when I try to log off (as opposed to shutting down) and when I use Totem media player and click on anything inside the Totem window. The motherboard has built-in graphics and brief specifications can be found here:
    http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/professionalpc/ESPRIMO/Datasheets/ds_esprimo_edition_e2500.pdf
    Yesterday my PS/2 keyboard started causing the motherboard to beep crazily when I use it. It beeps rapidly 4 times, then prints the expected character. However, the problem doesn't occur at the initial log in screen. The mouse cursor has also gone beserk on one occasion, flying all over the screen (I had this problem with a previous PC, but a different OS, and thought it was a hardware fault, which I why I got this new computer). With the keyboard problem, the machine is basically unusable. However, it is configured as a dual boot machine, and the keyboard problem isn't present with Windows XP.
    There are also a few smaller, odd problems. Occasionally all the icons vanish from my Gnome desktop. The command prompt also mysteriously changed from $chris@pluto to $bash-4.1 just before the keyboard problem appeared, although that might have had something to do with me copying my home directory to a different disk and editing the /etc/auto_home file (moving the home directory worked fine). Also, unlike with Solaris 9 SPARC, I find that I have to have external SCSI devices switched on at boot time, should I want to use them later. That's a pain. With Solaris 9, I could run "boot -r" when I first attached the device, then switch on the SCSI devices and mount them whenever I wanted.
    After the useful advice I received here about "more" and "less", I thought I'd post these problems and see if anyone can help. I'd really appreciate some advice. Can anyone identify likely causes for these problems? Which problems can I expect to solve and which do I have to live with?
    Many thanks,
    Chris Tidy
    Edited by: Chris Tidy on 23-Mar-2012 03:36

Hi folks,
    I've recently installed Solaris 11 x86 as a replacement for Solaris 9 SPARC on an Ultra 2 machine. I like the operating system, but I've promptly acquired some mysterious problems. The computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo E2500 with a Pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, an 80 GB SATA disk and a 147 GB SCSI disk.
    I have had a few occasions on which the screen goes totally blank, the monitor claims that there is no signal, and I have to restart the machine. However, with the blank screen, the hard drive activity light is sometimes still flashing. This happens predictably when I try to log off (as opposed to shutting down) and when I use Totem media player and click on anything inside the Totem window. The motherboard has built-in graphics and brief specifications can be found here:
    http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/professionalpc/ESPRIMO/Datasheets/ds_esprimo_edition_e2500.pdf
    Yesterday my PS/2 keyboard started causing the motherboard to beep crazily when I use it. It beeps rapidly 4 times, then prints the expected character. However, the problem doesn't occur at the initial log in screen. The mouse cursor has also gone beserk on one occasion, flying all over the screen (I had this problem with a previous PC, but a different OS, and thought it was a hardware fault, which I why I got this new computer). With the keyboard problem, the machine is basically unusable. However, it is configured as a dual boot machine, and the keyboard problem isn't present with Windows XP.
    There are also a few smaller, odd problems. Occasionally all the icons vanish from my Gnome desktop. The command prompt also mysteriously changed from $chris@pluto to $bash-4.1 just before the keyboard problem appeared, although that might have had something to do with me copying my home directory to a different disk and editing the /etc/auto_home file (moving the home directory worked fine). Also, unlike with Solaris 9 SPARC, I find that I have to have external SCSI devices switched on at boot time, should I want to use them later. That's a pain. With Solaris 9, I could run "boot -r" when I first attached the device, then switch on the SCSI devices and mount them whenever I wanted.
    After the useful advice I received here about "more" and "less", I thought I'd post these problems and see if anyone can help. I'd really appreciate some advice. Can anyone identify likely causes for these problems? Which problems can I expect to solve and which do I have to live with?
    Many thanks,
    Chris Tidy
    Edited by: Chris Tidy on 23-Mar-2012 03:36

• Problems with Solaris 10 + mod_wl_20

Hello all,
    I've been trying to get apache 2.0.58 that's shipped with Solaris 10 (Sparc) with mod_wl_20 from Weblogic 8.1 SP6 with not much luck.
    Every time I try connect to a mapped application via Apache+weblogic_mod I keep getting 404, it seems like the plugin isn't even being invoked, as apaches logs keep saying:
    File does not exist: /var/apache2/htdocs/examplesWebApp
    I copied over mod_wl_20.so from WEBLOGIC_HOME/server/lib/solaris and put it on the solaris box with apache in the libexec directory.
    My httpd.conf is basically a copy of the httpd.conf-example with the following entries:
    LoadModule weblogic_module libexec/mod_wl_20.so
    <Location /examplesWebApp>
    SetHandler weblogic-handler
    WebLogicHost 192.168.10.120
    WebLogicPort 7001
    Debug ON
    WLLogFile /tmp/test.log
    DebugConfigInfo On
    </Location>
    Strange thing, the /tmp/test.log file gets created, but no logging dumped there.
    If I connect to the Weblogic Server host, via port 7001 the examplesWebApp works just fine.
    Have I missed something? - is the version of Apache2 that comes with solaris 10 okay?
    Thanks for help in advanced.
    _rob                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hi haili,
    Thanks for the reply, I've modified my entry in httpd.conf to
    <Location /examplesWebApp>
    SetHandler weblogic-handler
    WebLogicHost 192.168.10.120
    WebLogicPort 7001
    Debug ALL
    WLLogFile /tmp/weblogic.log
    WLTempDir /tmp
    DebugConfigInfo ON
    </Location>
    The log file /tmp/weblogic.log is no longer been created.
    Has anyone got it to work with the standard apache 2.0.58 shipped with solaris 10?
    Thanks,
    _rob                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Grid installation in solaris 10 (sparc)  with Suncluster

While installing grid for cluster, node information table appears as blank.. while clicking "use cluster configuration file" option in that screen it shows that vendor clusterware detected. cluster configuration cannot be modified..
    If anyone knows how to resolve this problem, please post ur solution or if you have any procedure to install 11g r2 Grid infrastructure for a cluster in Solaris 10 sparc os with sun cluster 3.2, please send me the document to my email id- [email protected]

I would suggest changing the media you burned it on. That always seems to be the issue with things like this. Search the forums for suggestions on what works.

• Upgrade from Solaris 8 SPARC with Sun cluster 3.1u3 to Solaris 10 SPARC

Dear All,
    We are planning an upgrade of the OS from Solaris 8 SPARC to Solaris 10 SPARC on a two-node active-standby clustered system.
    The current major software we have on the Solaris 8 system are:
    1: Sun Cluster 3.1u3
    2: Oracle 9i 9.2.0.8
    3: Veritas File System Vxfs v4.0
    4: Sun Solaris 8 2/04 SPARC
    Any pointers as to what sequence and how the upgrade should be done?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Ray

yes I know it can be quite complicated and complex, but Sun provided us with a detailed documentation, at least in our case Solaris 9 to 10 it was very helpful.
    You might get better help in the cluster forum http://forums.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=842
    -- Nick

• Network connectivity on Sparc with Solaris 8

Hello friends,
    I have a Sparc Ultra 5 machine with Solaris 8 .
    Now I want to establish network connectivity by configuring net work card in it.also I want to establish connectivity with Intel Systems also.How can I accomplish this.
    I will be grateful to you if u cud guide me in this.
    Thank u in anticipation
    sreerama

I think the V20z have an ordinary broadcom chipset, if so the network interface should be called bgeX.
    So try:
    ifconfig bge0 plumb
    .. dont forget your /etc/hostname.bge0 file..
    7/M.

• CF9 w/ Solaris 10 (Sparc, 64-bit): Problems with mod_jrun22.so

Hi
    We're running a Solaris (Sparc) box and installed Apache 2.2.16 and ColdFusion9 on our system. When starting ColdFusion the first time, the shell script "apache_connector.sh" installs the mod_jrun22.so (must be the successor of mod_coldfusion.so) and adds the required section in the httpd.conf file just fine. (well, after fixing the script... ^^)
    The problem arises when starting Apache next time:
    httpd: Syntax error on line 414 of /usr/local/httpd-2.2.16/conf/httpd.conf:
    Cannot load /opt/coldfusion9/runtime/lib/wsconfig/1/mod_jrun22.so into server:
    ld.so.1: httpd: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
    Apparently, this module was compiled with gcc, which we didn't install on our Sun system.
    Does anyone know whether there's a module available which doesn't depend on gcc libraries under Solaris?
    So far we've compiled everything with Suns compiler Sun Studio 12.0. The reason behind this is that we're using CFX-tags and our shared library uses  C/C++ and embedded SQL for Oracle 11g (yes, we're old school ^^). And since Oracle 11g officially only supports Sun Studio 12.0 when using embedded SQL, we're trying to compile everything with this compiler.
    Sure we could install gcc (or at least a runtime-component containing libgcc_s.so.1), but I'm wondering now whether we'll run into problems later when using our C++ library which was compiled with Sun Studio 12.0.
    Could anyone shed some light on this?
    Thanks!
    Daniel

We have our EBS 12.0.6 on Sun Solaris SPARC 64 bit. There are few hp printer (hp laserjet p2015dn) configured with our application and they are working fine.
    Now we have to add one more printer but ( hp laserjet p2015dn) is not available now.
    So please suggest the hp laserjet printer available for Solaris 10 Sparc 64 bit.You already have the same type of printer configured and it is working properly, so I would say it is supported.
    What is the difference between the two printers configuration?
    Can you print from the OS to the new printer?
    What do you mean by "not available now"?
    Thanks,
    Hussein

• CVS 1.11.21 and PVCS 6.8.10 compatible with solaris 5.10 Sparc ?

Hi,
    Are CVS 1.11.21 and PVCS 6.8.10 compatible with solaris 5.10 Sparc Unix server.
    Thanks

... haven't a clue.
    You've asked a software question in a hardware forum.
    The question is beyond the scope of these forums.
    You may need to try somewhere else, perhaps somewhere that is
    more focussed on the software or the OS you hope to use with it.
    I tried a quick Google search on each, and found:
    http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.21/cvs.html
    http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=649671&messageID=3823547
    I didn't bother to go beyond the first Google page of results from each search.

• Problem with installation application server 10g on Solaris 10 sparc

Hello all.
    Help me, please.
    I'm trying to install Oracle aplication server 10.0.1.2.0.2 on Solaris 10 sparc.
    Server - Sun Fire v210.
    When i install oracle infrastructure(metadata repository and identify management),
    i have a problem - on first step of configuration "end of communication channel".
    Failed
    Anybody know, how solve this problem?
    Sorry for my english.

There is known bug in installing Oracle10gAS infra. You have to apply the following note during the installation.
    see MetaLink Note:330016.1 for current AS 10.1.2 installation requirements for Solaris 10.
    Regards,
    Amir

• Oracle 10g R2 installation on sun solaris 10 Sparc machine

Hi there,
    I encountered the following problem during oracle 10g R2 installation on sun solaris 10 Sparc machine
    Error encountered:
    Using paramFile: /u01/Oracle/10gr2_db_sol/install/oraparam.ini
    Checking installer requirements...
    Checking operating system version: must be 5.8, 5.9 or 5.10. Actual 5.10
    Passed
    Checking Temp space: must be greater than 250 MB. Actual 2266 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 500 MB. Actual 2335 MB Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors Failed <<<<
    >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.
    Some requirement checks failed. You must fulfill these requirements before
    continuing with the installation,at which time they will be rechecked.
    Continue? (y/n) [n]
    The following were the steps taken before encountering the above error
    1. logged into a workstation
    2. From its xterm terminal I logged to the oracle server via ssh oracle@ip
    3. keyed in the following at the command prompt
    DISPLAY=machine_name:0.0; export DISPLAY
    4. executed the following from the command prompt
    ./runInstaller
    Note: when executing the ./runInstaller, the preinstallation checking just hangs at Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. But the log file shows it failed during preinstallation checking as shown in Error encountered
    Please help me with this problem.
    Thank you
    Ravindran Kanniah

It is because of UNIX shell. I also faced this error during installation.
    First check your shell by the following command.
    $ echo $SHELL
    Then select the below.
    For csh shell
    $ setenv DISPLAY 192.168.1.128:0.0
    $ export DISPLAY
    For sh,ksh and bash
    $ DISPLAY=192.168.1.128:0.0
    $ export DISPLAY
    After you do this check the value of DISPLAY variable.
    $ echo $DISPLAY
    If the DISPLAY variable is set then run ./runInstaller.
    One advice: Keep a complete log of your terminal session. This will help you in future :)
    -aijaz

Maybe you are looking for

• Problem with XSU and DataSources with nested cursors?

We are having a problem with the xsu libraries (OracleXMLQuery) using nested cursor syntax. The class returns nicely nested xml document when a database connection is established in the traditional/legacy manner of "class.forName(); DriverManager.reg

• Thinkpad A31 Docking Station

Hi there,  I have a Thinkpad A31 - 2652 with Windows XP (SP3) and I would like to get a docking tray with the ability to have dual VGA monitors (both external monitors).  I understand that the "ThinkPad T, A, and X Series Dock" has both a VGA and a D

• Vendor to vendor payment

Dear All, I have issue , as in my company we have some in house contractors as vendors, and we have insurance company as vendor. And our company make insurance to that inhouse contrctors for that insurance company.  As per this we have clear that the

• Returnable gate pass scenario

dear all, can any one guide me how to mapp the scenario for returnable material which are going outside for repairing. In this we need to pring gate pass, need to track inventory & value at vendor also. I have recommended them combination of 541 & se

• Weblogic core dumps with "SIGBUS    10*  bus error"

I am getting a core dump when starting up my WL server. It seems to be timing related. The WL startup class is causing the error. The error does not occur if I do not deploy any EJBs. If I deploy one EJB the error occurrs. If I deploy two or more EJB