Best ICC profile/di​splay setting for ThinkPad T430

Hello everyone,
Any recommendations for the ICC profile I can use with my ThinkPad? While I managed to get rid of the blue color cast to some point using color corrections within display driver and updating the monitor driver itself, I wonder if anyone can suggest some ICC profiles? I have a basic HD display (1366x786). I am occasionally into photo and video editing and while I know this display is not perfect for such tasks, I would like to get maximum out of it.
Cheers and thanks,
Srdjan
Solved!
Go to Solution.

lenssd9, if you want to truly get rid of the blue cast then you should calibrate with a display calibrator. Barring that, if the laptop is the brightest object in your workspace then your eyes will adjust to the blue tone over time. 
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.

Similar Messages

• What are the best data and bit rate setting for uploading from final cut express to Youtube?

Can anyone suggest the best data rate and bit rate presets for uploading footage from final cut express 4 to Youtube? What settings will provide the best resolution, quality, and match the current youtube requirements?
    Thank you in advance for your help,
    Susan Kayne

It depends on whether you are using aspect ratios of 4:3 or 16:9.
    Below is some simple guidance that will provide good quality with reasonably small file sizes.
    The first part is for 4:3 video:-
    1. File>Export Using QT Conversion.
    2. The "Format" window should say, "QT Movie".
    3. In "Use" select "LAN/Intranet" from the dropdown menu.
    4. Click "Save" and when it has finished encoding, upload it to YouTube.
    If you are making 16:9 video (Standard or High Definition) do steps 1 to 3 above.
    Then when you have selected "LAN/Intranet" press the "Options" button and in the new
    window that opens press the  "Size"  button and change the  "640x480" to  "853x480"
    To do this you will have to click on the  640x480 and a dropdown menu appears.
    Select "Custom" from  the bottom of the menu and in the window that opens
    you will see 2 boxes.
    Put  853  in the first box and  480  in the second.
    Click OK.
    Then Save it.

• Best Solid State Hard Drive for ThinkPad T430s

Hi all,
    I was thinking of replacing the 500gb in my 2 year old t430s with a solid state. Prices have come down.
    I was thinking of buy this new one from Samsung, which has about the best reviews of any SSD.
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Warranty-SDSSDXPS-240G-G25/dp/B00KHRYRNM
    Doesn't seem very hard to install SSDs and I'd do a fresh install of Windows. But I'm curious if I'd run into any bottlenecks on the t430s with such a high end SSD. I have 8 gigs of ram.
    I was also considering this best seller:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?s=p...
    But I'd prefer to shell out 30 bucks more for the top of the line one with better lifespan etc.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks.

SSDs provide the most improvement when reading lots of small files, where you need to move the heads and wait for the disk to spin to the right sector.  For most people, booting and shutdown are the tasks most helped.  If you don't need a WWAN card, I suggest you consider using a smaller mSATA card as the boot drive (I use a 256GB) and keeping your 500GB drive for data.  mSATA drives are available up to 1TB

• ICC profiles for HP Photosmart 7520 from other manufacturers

Hi
    I am looking for ICC profiles from other manufacturers for a HP Photosmart 7520. I have been searching days now and have found nothing for my printer.
    Where can I find other manufacturers ICC profiles if they are available? OR if there are none profided, why?
    TIA
    Alex

Hi asdiaz,
    I understand you have a Photosmart 7520 that you're wanting different ICC profiles for. I will do my best to guide you in this.
    This isn't something that we support, but in doing a bit of research I was able to find a link to Adobe ICC Profile, and this International Color Consortium page that has a few different suggestions.
    Hopefully these pages will get you in the right direction! Have a good one!
    Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster
    Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
    **MissTeriLynn**
    I work on behalf of HP

• Icc profiles for printing?

Convert from Windows!
    Have a Epson Stylus 2200 photo printer. Need to load icc profiles from Ilford.com for the Galeria printing papers. Need some guidance in loading these icc profiles.
    Thanks!

Any help on this topic. Is there a default place to put icc profiles for a printer. EPSON profiles show up when I print. Just need to find out where I place the ilford profiles for this printer.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

• ICC Profile for Lenovo EasyCamera

Alright, I've been looking around everywhere on the site with no luck.
    I have a Lenovo S10-3. It came with a Lenovo EasyCamera built-in.
    This camera's color is slightly off, as are most webcameras, making all images more blue than they should be.
    I would really love to have an .icc profile that was made for the Lenovo EasyCamera. If any staff here know of where I could get it, please let me know! It would make this little netbook all that much better. 

Things went allright until point no. 9 in Step 2.
    When the installation is complete, a message displays on the computer stating that the product was added successfully did not appear. However, the printer 990c appeared in the list of printers.
    After connecting the USB cable to the computer,  Device driver software was not successfully installed   window did not open. 
    However, I decided to continue with step 3. But Printer properties --> Ports --> Drop down menu did not show USB nor DOT4.

• Failing to apply ICC profiles with xcalib and dispwin

I created two ICC profiles under Windows 7 for my laptop and external display and also two using LPROF.
    When I try to activate a profile in xmonad with Intel graphics, nothing happens. I used these commands:
    xcalib -d :0 .color/icc/laptop.icc
    dispwin -d 0 .color/icc/laptop.icc
    xcalib doesn't show any errors. dispwin outputs:
    Dispwin: Warning - No vcgt tag found in profile - assuming linear
    This applies to all four profiles and both displays.
    At least the LPROF profiles do work fine in GIMP when set via its preferences.
    Not sure if this is relevant: I quickly looked at gnome-color-manager running Xubuntu. There I opened gcm-viewer and clicked on both of its default profiles and I also didn't see any changes.
    Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by Markus00000 (2013-02-17 07:57:23)

It's unrelated to MediaTrackers. You can see faint images of what the original images details were. It's almost like the brightness got cranked way down and then it got set to grayscale. I'm obviously not using the camera ICC profile correctly.
    ICC profiles are related to "color management". I.e., the process that supposedly allows you to make what you get out of a digital camera look the same as what you see on the monitor and what you see on the printer. Each device has an "ICC profile" to compensate for that device's color "quirks".
    Kodak donated some of their color management expertise to Sun for Java (which also explains the bizarre class and variable naming if you look up the ICC_Profile class :-)

• HT204135 Printing using ICC profiles

I have an Epson R2000, and am using Hahnemuhle paper. Have downloaded various ICC profiles and can see to nominate a specific profile with the chosen printer (R2000). After  pressing  "print",  the screen asks what preset I want to use. When I use the show details to see what is in the profiles they are all the same, and none show that I want to use a Hahnemuhle ICC. So how do I set up a new preset?. How in any case can I be sure the printer is in fact using the ICC profile nominated? Thanks for any tips.

Hi
    I'm new to Macs and also have a Pixma Pro 9000. When I used to use it with Photoshop CS2 on a PC I got used to turning off color management in the driver, but as you point out, this isn't an option in the Canon OS X driver.
    What I have noticed, though, is when I select "photoshop manages color" in the Mac Photoshop CS3 Print dialog box, then delve into the Canon driver settings, Color Matching drop-down menu, although the options are greyed-out, ColorSync is the selected option.
    Then, if I specify "printer manages color" in the Photoshop Print dialog box, when I go to the Canon driver Color Matching drop-down, though still greyed-out, it now has "vendor matching" selected.
    This suggests to me that, in fact, the equivalent to the "do not color manage" option in the Windows Canon driver is "ColorSync" in the Mac driver. Maybe there is better communication between Photoshop and the Canon driver on the Mac than in Windows, so when you tell Photoshop (Mac) to control the color management it automatically sets the driver to the correct setting? This is all speculation, as I'm still new to the Mac way of doing things, but maybe try it and see what the results look like? (I usually use the Canon Easy Photo Print Pro plug-in anyway, but it would be nice to be able to control printing manually as well in specific circumstances)

• Icc profiles fine arts paper grayed out in Lion

Running Lion, In the print dialogue box, I can't access the icc profiles for Epson fine arts paper, even though I have the matte black cartridge installed.  In the Media Type box, the Fine Arts selection includes all three fine arts papers for my Epson 2880 printer, but all three are grayed out.  However, it works fine for matte papers.  My icc profiles (including the three for Epson fine arts papers) are installed in ~/Library/Colorsync/Profiles, also in HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles.  Any suggestions?

Same problem with greyed out profiles for Fine Art Papers
    The ICC Profiles for the Epson fine art papers that I downloaded from their site are coming up with errors in the ColorSync Profile First Aid. I redownloaded the profiles, but they’re still showing up as bad profiles and they can’t be fixed.
    Sample error:
    Header padding is not null.
    Tag 'DEVD': Tag reserved field is not zero.
    Tag 'DEVS': Tag reserved field is not zero.
    The file is locked. Could not be fixed.
    So what do I do now?

• Newbie: PS CS3, save as + ICC Profile

Sorry if i'm going to ask a newbie qu.
    When i'm saving a JPG file format, using SAVE AS function i have an option to mark the Color type.
    what will be the diff. if i'll save the file with the color profile (ICC Profile:  sRGB  IEC61966-2.1) or without the ICC profile?
    and what is the best ICC profile to use?
    thanx in advance

Reduce it to 8-bit or use a PSD.
    EPS is
    so last century.

• Colour Calibration for 24" iMac and setting up an ICC profile

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a way for calibrating the display of a 24" iMac (not too expensive)? I will mainly be using Photoshop, Aperture and web browsing (I do not need for business, but like to have the best set up possible).
    Also, on a similar note, can anyone suggest a cost effective way of getting an ICC profile for use with Photoshop (CS2) and Aperture for an HP Photosmart 3210 please?
    Thanks

Hi Kevin
    As your based in the UK feel free to contact me with regards to obtaining display profiles for your 24" iMac, and possibly output profiles for your printer.
    We are hoping to add a 24" iMac (or should that be BigMac to our studio as a training machine and backup to our other Macs in the very near future. As soon as we get our machine it will only be a day or so before I get it profile and I would be quite willing to email you a copy of our screen profile free of charge for you to test, this should get you pretty good results.
    As part of our business we carry out colour management training and that obviously includes creating colour profiles. We use a Gretag i1 Pro to calibrate and profile our screens to a very high level so I think it may be worth you giving me a call soon. Feel free to call me on 01773 717446 or email me at [email protected]
    G5 Dual 2.0, PB15"DL, Quicksilver 733   Mac OS X (10.4.4)  

• Possible solution for problems printing with ICC profiles - esp. R2400

(N.B. This is long because I've decided to go in to details about the background of the problem etc.. Also note that whilst my experience is with the Epson R2400, anyone with problems printing using ICC profiles in Aperture may find this post helpful, as will be explained further down the post.)
    Ok, here's the situation. I've been an Aperture user for over a year, and an R2400 owner for half a year. In that time I have done a huge amount of experimenting, but I've never managed to get Aperture to work perfectly with Epson's 'premium' R2400 ICC profiles - the ones you can download from their site which are better than the ones provided 'in the box'. This hasn't been too big a deal because, in fact, the R2400 does a rather good job just set to 'System Managed' in Aperture and 'Epson Vivid' with a gamma of 1.8 in the printer driver. Nevertheless, it really annoyed me that something that should work wasn't, which is why I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's going on. Having said that, I have come across a method which will give you pretty good prints out of your Epson R2400 using the premium profiles in Aperture - it's not perfect, but it's the best you're going to get if you want to use those profiles in Aperture. I understand the words 'it's not perfect' aren't what photography experts would probably want to hear, however, I have seen a few anguished posts from R2400 owners in here before, so I think some people may find it useful.
    The whole reason why Aperture is hopeless at using the R2400's premium profiles is because - unusually - their default rendering intent is set to 'relative colorimetric' rather than 'perceptual'. You might say 'but that's good - it means you get more accurate colours!', and if you do, you're right... however, there's a snag. To get an image to reproduce well using Epson's premium profiles and relative colorimetric rendering, you really need to use black point compensation. This is where the trouble lies: Aperture's black point compensation is diabolical to the point of being unusable when used with relative colorimetric rendering - I feel I need to be awarded compensation every time I've ever tempted to use the setting. So because BPC in Aperture is unusable, that effectively makes the premium profiles unusable too, because Aperture always uses the default rendering intent specified in the profile.
    The solution? Use perceptual rendering instead. Ok, so you can't change the rendering intent in Aperture, which makes that sound a tad difficult. However, as I said in the above paragraph, Aperture always obeys the default rendering intent specified in the profile... so you can see where we're going with this: we need to change the ICC profiles' default rendering intent from 'relative colorimetric' to 'perceptual'. I did some digging around and found one or two expensive pieces of software that could do that... but then I found that, lo and behold, the Mac OS has a command-line utility which can do the job for us, for precisely £0.00. It's called SIPS or 'Scriptable Image Processing System', and you can find out some information about it here: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2035.html#TNTAG58 For those who don't like reading technical jargon however, here's what you need to do to convert a profile's rendering intent. First go to terminal, then type in the following command:
    sips -s renderingIntent perceptual
    Do not press 'enter' yet. Instead, add a space after 'perceptual', find the ICC profile you want to modify, and click and drag it into the terminal window. You should then find that your command looks something like this:
    sips -s renderingIntent perceptual /Users/yourname/folder/RandomProfile.ICC
    At which point you can then press 'enter', and the command will execute, giving you an ICC profile which will now make Aperture use perceptual rendering.
    There is just one further thing to be aware of after doing this: for some crazy reason, you then need to turn on BPC in Aperture for the prints to come out as good as possible. Black point compensation shouldn't make any difference when using perceptual rendering as the idea of perceptual is that it takes account of things like that anyway, however, in Aperture BPC does make a difference, so remember to turn it on to get a half decent print. In general, I find that prints made using this setup come out pretty well; they almost perfectly match prints made using the profiles with a perceptual intent in Photoshop Elements, except for the fact that Aperture blocks up the shadows a bit more than Photoshop. However, if you can live with that, you might find this is quite a workable solution.
    Now, I said near the beginning of this post that all the above can apply to other printers too. Most printer profiles have 'perceptual' set as their default rendering intent, in which case everything I've just said won't be of much help. However, If you are reading this because you're having problems with ICC profiles in Aperture, but you don't use an Epson R2400, find your problematic ICC profile, double-click on it, and take a look at the window that opens: specifically, at the 'Rendering Intent' the window mentions. If it doesn't say 'Perceptual' then it may well be worth trying the steps I've outlined in this post to set it to perceptual, to see if doing so produces an improvement when using the profile in Aperture.
    Finally, just one note of caution: if you decide to try out the steps I've detailed above on a paid-for custom-made profile, please back your profile up before messing with it. I haven't experienced any problems when using SIPS to change a profile's rendering intent, but I obviously can't guarantee that it won't do something weird and corrupt your expensive custom-made profile.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, although (contrary to any impression I may give) I am not a colour-management expert; I'm just someone who doesn't give up when they have a problem that should be solvable.
    Thomas
    Mac Pro 2.0GHz with 30" ACD; 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz   Mac OS X (10.4.10)  

Thomas
    Wow - thanks for such a comprehensive post.
    I have Aperture and a 2400 so this information is exceptionally useful to me.
    Again - thanks for caring and sharing
    Brian

• How to set the ICC profile in LR to be the same as PS?

Hi Adobe,
    Why do my images look much darker and contrasty in LR(4.3) then they do on PS(CS6) where they have far more tonal range? I'm looking at them side by side on the same screen. I know it has to do with ICC profiles but I can't find how you set that in LR. Any help would be appreciated. An example can be viewed here: http://mikedodd.co.uk/other/temp/Screen%20shot%202013-01-22%20at%2023.06.52.jpg You can see how much better the top (PS) image is.
    Thanks
    Mike

I'm not familiar with that model, but don't all Coloredges come with Color navigator software and sensor? No need to use third-party calibrators, the results are guaranteed to be much better using the Eizo calibrator. I use Eizo easypix on a pair of Flexscans, and the results are vastly better than using Spyder 3 and ColorEyes Display Pro (which I also have).
    In any case the Spyder 2 is not a good sensor. It quickly got a bad reputation and rightly so (I have one sitting in the back of a drawer). Things improved tremendously with the Spyder 3, and now the 4 is out.
    The general consensus, however, is that the best "mainstream" third-party calibrator currently on the market is the x-rite i1 Display Pro. If this is what you need to use, maybe it's time to retire the Spyder 2?
    Most real-world images contain parts that are out of gamut for sRGB, you'll quickly get used to that. But it can still look good. With a little work, it's possible to make almost anything look good inside sRGB. Consider that almost all monitors have a native color space very close to sRGB. Only the so-called wide gamut monitors (I'm not sure if yours is one) exceed that. But with a standard monitor, what you see is already sRGB.
    Relative intent "hard-clips" everything outside the target space gamut, but OTOH preserves everything in-gamut unchanged. Perceptual compresses near the gamut border, sometimes resulting in slight color and tonal changes. The difference isn't dramatic, I never bother with intent, but leave it on relative and deal with clipping when necessary (that is, if you lose desired texture and detail).

• Best display profile for video editing

Among the choices you see under Display Profile on a Mac, what is considered "best" choice for video editing, so that you can assess color, exposure, etc. in your footage as you edit? I have always used Adobe RGB (1998), but realize that I have no knowledge about whether that's a good choice.
    What do the 'good' editors use (to differentiate them from guys like me)? Do top editors calibrate their monitors for video editing? Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated!
    -- Mark Strand

what is considered "best" choice for video editing
    there is only one setting for Final Cut; Generic RGB
    This is an apple stipulation, its how Final Cut must be set up, choosing any other profile will cause problems with any out put files you create.
    Do top editors calibrate their monitors for video
    ICC colour management is designed and can only be used for still image files eg. so while you can calibrate a computer monitor it can only be used with still image files; TIFF CRW JPEG PSD. ICC profiles are not recognised by Final Cut Pro or QuickTime.
    The colour management system used in video involves using video scopes, an accurate PAL or NTSC colour monitor and tools like the 3 way colour corrector.

• A way to activate ICC profiles for all applied images

Hi there!
    I think there should be an option in InDesign to activate the ICC profiles for all the applied images.
    For those who work with PDF/X-4 and a Workflow-based Color Management, it's very important to take the images' profiles into account.
    I tried and tried, but could not find a way to make it all at once in InDesign.
    Today I have to change the color settings so the INDD's profiles won't match the Color Settings' one, and then open the INDD choosing "Activate All Profiles" on the "Profile mismatch" window.
    It could have an option to choose to activate only the CMYK or RGB profiles and even choose what profiles to activate or not.
    Who would agree with me?
    Tiago Cheregati

First of all thanks for your help, Dov.
    I may be wrong, but from the tests I made, the image's ICC profile is honored only if the InDesign Color Settings CMYK field is set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles".
    If, at the moment that you place it, Color Settings are set to "Preserve Numbers (Ignore linked profiles), InDesign will "forget" the ICC, and won't send it to the PDF/X-4 even if you ask him to.
    Now, I don't remember which is the default option for InDesign's Color Settings, but we receive a lot of .indd files (most of them books) whose images are profile-ignored. And then either we change it one-by-one or we assing another profile for the .indd, save, close, open it again and ask him to "re-enable" the profiles in the Profile Mismatch window. As I mentioned above.
    So, in response to your question, I wanted InDesign to offer live control to these options, so I can send to the PDF what I really wanted in an easier way.
    Again, I may be standing on a wrong supposition.
    Of course our heads together will think better than one.
    Best wishes,
    Tiago Cheregati

Maybe you are looking for

• AL Clearing Account Difference

Hello, When i checked a GL Account in FBL3N, there are 339 open items available with Balance "0" till date. But when I am trying to clear all the line items with F-03 then it is showing only 278 line items with 15 Cr as not assigned amount. Please he

• Please Help!! (I can't videochat)

I have been trying to solve this for a week now, and I just dont know what's wrong! Please someone help me. The problem started whan I changed my ISP (I changed from dsl to cable connection). The problem is that I can not video conference with one pe

• Windows 8 and Flash Player

I have recently purchased a new laptop that operates Windows 8.  I am a member of an online education site that has streaming video classes.  The site will not let me get past a notice that I need to d'load Adobe Flash Player.  When I check it, Adobe

• Purchase and download Playbook apps

We don't use a Blackberry phone.  We have a Playbook.  How then do we get access to the apps?  According to this site, the first step is to install the Blackberry App World plugin.  The second step is to connect your Smartphone, and I presume that's

• Any suggestions for the ITEM NUMBER field

We sell DVDs, Books, CDs, etc. for which we have item groups setup. We are using the ISBN based EAN barcode for the bar code field. Any best practices for coming up with the ITEM NUMBER naming convention that people have for us. Currently we use the